Monday, January 16, 2012

Snow day.

We had a snow day, well couple of days.  Compared to my winter in Idaho the snow fall was weak sauce; but beautiful nonetheless.  I'm actually glad it wasn't coming down by the foot- I've decided I'm not a winter person.  I'm a snow person but only from the warmth of my own home- or for a day trip to it.  That's what i prefer, yep.  Don't mind my huge snow pants.  Anyway.  This lil activity was just hours before some bad news hit our family- before our plans changed.  Friday the 13th bad news... how fitting.  Not that I'm superstitious about that- it's just funny.  I look and was so happy but since have been up and down.  Brody, on the other hand, has continued to be his carefree happy self.
Then the thought hit me...  am I stressed and sad because I know better... or is it my kids that know better?  Let me explain that.  I mean, I play piano for kids every Sunday and hear their testimonies of Christ.  We learn in the scriptures how much Christ loved children and how we ought to become like children.  Well, I think it's the kids who know better.  Just because I understand the situation better doesn't mean I see it better.  My view is as limited as his, maybe more, clouded by my own thoughts and speculations of what will come of this.  Kids?  Kids just know that no matter what, the Lord loves us and will help us out... that this isn't the end of the world, but a set back.  And who cares about set backs if it means we grow and come closer to God?  Perhaps we were just on the wrong path and the Lord is putting us on the right one?  Maybe what looks like a trial is really a blessing.  Well I know the Lord loves me too.  I know things will work out but I let worry creep in when I shouldn't.  Brody doesn't!
So I've decided to copy Brody- because he does know better.  He knows to be happy- all the time.  I've gone through waves where I'm excited for this challenge- then other moments where I want to cry and sit around depressed.  No more waves- I'm choosing now to accept and be positive.  I thought about going into specifics on here but with not knowing who reads this, I can't.  I have family and close friends who know, or who will soon, and I'm grateful for their support.  With that said, thanks for your support too.  Sometimes I wonder why I blog and if I want to- then I get a sweet email or comment and I remember that it's worth it.  To be able to connect with people all around the world and learn from you, is pretty cool.  Not that this blog is huge, I know it's not (ha), but it IS much more than I expected it ever would be.  So thanks for reading along and understanding, even if you don't know what we are going through right now.

But like I said, I'll be HAPPY... I AM happy- and we'll be okay.
So since this post was supposed to be about snow:  There wasn't a huge part of me that had the energy or desire to bundle us both up and traipse around in the 10 degree day.  Not feeling sick like I do (pregnancy).  But the cold weather has kept us in too long and I decided Brody NEEDED to stretch his legs.  Heck, so did I.  Hyrum was down for his long (and only) nap and so it was the perfect time.  Once we were out there it was fun!  Brody and I built a sad, not-even-one-foot snowman (but it was awesome anyway) and had a snowball fight and went everywhere there weren't tracks and made some.  There was even a snow angel or two (courtesy of B).  He later told me how much fun he had outside with me and how he loved the hot chocolate after.  Brody and I also went on a date recently to the movies and we want to make that a more common thing around here.  Dates with mom and dad now and then.  Now, everyday, he wants to play pretend and go on a date with me somewhere.  His latest was back in Arizona to play the "horse race game" with Gma & gpa B.  Then go to the beach.  Sounds a lot like our last vacation to AZ & Cali.  Maybe we can make that happen for ya, B.  Some of that, anyway.

23 lovely comments:

Mallory said... Reply To This Comment

I loved this post. I or we have had some horrible news lately. Well it seems the past two weeks has been full of bad news. I try to be happy but I can't. Than I look at my little girl who is always happy even when she is crying she can still make a smile or a laugh. So, lets all be happy!! I hope things look up for you soon!

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

Those are lovely photos Connie. B looks so cute. Awe too bad Hyrum wasn't awake to enjoy the snow, but then again... babies and cold weather aren't fun. haha

And I honestly hope you and your family are doing well. I don't like sad or awful news too, but I will pray that you and your family will get through these rough times.

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

hope everything works out Connie! :) you're amazing and i admire your positive outlook!

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

hope everything works out connie! :) you're amazing and I admire your positive outlook!

Jennifer Blair said... Reply To This Comment

I'm sorry to hear you are going through something that isn't so fun. I love your perspective though. Kids don't realize what is really going on sometimes, and are happy anyway! I know you guys will pull through. You have strong faith!

PS: these photos are so dreamy! :) We never get snow, so I'm kind of in love with it!

Carlie said... Reply To This Comment

I am glad you are choosing to be happy even though I am sure it is hard. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers today!

The Egg said... Reply To This Comment

lovely photos. stay strong girl!

xo the egg out west.

brooke field said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for sharing pieces of your testimony. Hope all turns out well for your family.

Tricia said... Reply To This Comment

Beautiful thoughts, Connie. Good for you for making that decision. Plus - setting a great example for your kids on how to deal with a hard time:) I believe even better opportunities will be coming to you and Tony. Love ya all.

Vivian said... Reply To This Comment

You are an example to me. When my kids want to play out in the snow I pretend I'm deaf, not because I feel sick, but because I have never learned to like the cold or the snow. I know I need to get over and appreciate what I have more...after all it's beautiful, or at least you make it seem so with your photography.

Darcie Santoyo said... Reply To This Comment

i LOVE your photos, like always. & Your blog :)

salena said... Reply To This Comment

thats so true! even when little children are disappointed and dont understand why they cant have something..they still manage to be happy all the time! i could def benefit from picking up some of my kids constant positive attitude! :)

Amanda M. said... Reply To This Comment

Hoping your closed door {upsetting news} just leads to an opened window......

Shalyn said... Reply To This Comment

I am glad that you are happy and optimistic! Still, you have us worried! You are definitely in my prayers!

Erin said... Reply To This Comment

is that part of the reason you are no longer on facebook? hope things get better for you soon.

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your sweet comments! It means a lot, you don't even know! Erin, I got off facebook because this year I'm trying to declutter my life and have less things that make me busy and waste time. I did that before I got this news.

Sarah Ann said... Reply To This Comment

Love, love, love this. Isn't it incredible what we can learn from our kids?

And the snow photos are so beautiful!

S

Rebecca said... Reply To This Comment

It is so hard to readjust your perspective and step outside of your situation to regain control and create a positive attitude. Hang in there! You have such a beautiful story and have handled so many moves and changes - I'm sure you can tackle whatever comes your way. Especially with such cute boys in your life!

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Hugs and love. Change is hard and sometimes being happy is hard. Glad we have kids to remind us what is important. And as always lovely photos. :)

Rissi said... Reply To This Comment

There are some gorgeous shots, Connie!

christinerojas said... Reply To This Comment

Precious! I'll always love your photographs. I hope to one day see snow like this

Ashley Eliza said... Reply To This Comment

connie you are so strong!i know this sounds silly cuz were blog friends but seriously you are such an example to me. i needed to hear this, this week and to learn to be more optimistic.

beautiful photos.

xoxo

BF said... Reply To This Comment

All of these photos are so precious, looks like you guys had a great day!