Monday, January 30, 2012

a longwinded post where I tell you where we're moving

Over a year ago I had my sights set on moving to Florida.  Tony and I both talked about it and decided it was going to be best for our family.  I was a little nervous- I'm not a fan of hurricanes and humidity- but I ended up getting SUPER excited about that possibility.  Then our plans changed.  We decided North Carolina was the better option.  We had everything planned and were about to sign a lease (for the most darling home I've ever seen, mind you) and then our plans changed... again.

I've got to say these past couple years have been tough for this reason.  I envy those people who are just paying their mortgage, kids in great schools, no chance of moving or changing their lives so drastically.  I'd like to just settle down in ONE place and stay there till I die. (So, for a loooooong time, yeah?)  That would be cool.  I would like my kids to grow up THEIR kids in the same town and all have Christmases together, etc.  
But.  My life, for the past 10 years, hasn't gone this way.  I haven't had the relaxing life of the familiar.  I haven't experienced what it's like to have one group of friends that I can grow close to- or a steady business to build.  I started one in Virginia, too, you know.  Even when I did spend more than a year or two in one spot I still had the lingering thought that it would just be temporary.  That thought can prohibit you from growing, unfortunately.  Maybe that's why most friendships are acquaintances and why I've never put the effort into designing a baby's nursery.  

For ME it's been UP AND GO since 2004.  A new life in each new place.  New friends, new everything.  I started out in California back then and since have moved to Virginia, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Kentucky... all over and back again.  Not just one move a year sometimes- and usually to multiple places in the same state, too.  Ugh.  I can't even tell you how many cross country drives we've made in the last decade, either.  Not just Tony and I- but my mom and I- family and I.  Oh like the time I sat passenger style for 3,000 miles with a cat carrier on my lap, a goldfish at my feet, a plant hanging over my head, and a dog breathing down my back?  I prefer not to think about it... driving across the country and I aren't friends.  And times like that are best forgotten (that was a new low- my mom and I laughed at how white trash we felt to the crowd at Sonic- just imagine).  Needless to say, moving has GOTTEN OLD!  I wish I could say this next move would be our last but I know it won't be.  But our last big move, we hope!
Despite all the craziness of our moves, I have enjoyed the new experiences.  Meeting new people is a plus.  I've genuinely tried over the years to help, make a mark, or show care and love towards people and appreciate my situation, even if it wasn't easy or my idea of ideal.  Because of that I've found happiness amongst the uncertainty and changes.  The thing about this next move that excites me is thinking we'll at least stay in the same area- same state anyway.  We know we don't want a big move again.  Whatever happens we are going to try to make it work living where we want.  What's greatest about it is that it's where I've always wanted to live.  A place I truly love- and have always been so fascinated by.  I'm just so extremely excited that in a four short weeks we'll start our move back HOME.  A place where I do have genuine friends- and can continue to make those friendships stronger.  A place where my business has shown the most promise and where most of our family is.  See you soon, Arizona.  OH how I've missed you!! 
(so it wasn't what we expected... it's better!)
*pictures from exactly a year ago, on a family outing...in Arizona!  So.  So excited.

16 lovely comments:

Gentri said... Reply To This Comment

Such cute pictures. :) I'm so glad things worked out wonderfully.

Heidi said... Reply To This Comment

Yay!!!

Heidi said... Reply To This Comment

Yay!!!

Carlie said... Reply To This Comment

Congrats on getting to move to Arizona! Being by family and friends makes all the difference!

Vivian said... Reply To This Comment

Welcome to the west! I was happy to read to are trying to take the good of it. It's funny how others wish to have your life. I want to move, I want to travel the world and show my kids as much of it as I can... Wish you the best on your move. If you come visit good old Utah..make sure and let me know :)

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

i'm so excited for you to come back! :)

az is the best!

Yolanda Fields said... Reply To This Comment

Your post was SO encouraging because my family and I might be moving out of state, and possibly all the way on the other side of the U.S., by this summer. I'm 29 and haven't had to move yet. I do have history here in CA and close friendships and a GREAT church. A part of me thinks it would be nice to grow up in the same place all my life, but since my husband and I got married more than 4 years ago, we both never had the feeling we'd be putting down roots here. We've always been open to the possibility that we may be going somewhere... and that might finally be happening. In the unfamiliar is hard, I'll try to remember what you wrote or come back and visit this post.

Jennifer said... Reply To This Comment

I was suspicious cause the background of your pics looked very Arizona-ish to me. Just like an AZ winter for sure! Glad to have you back, even if I'm a little further south than you.

Courtney B said... Reply To This Comment

When you were having a hard time a couple weeks ago I was wondering if it was because plans changed with your move??
But I am SO excited for you to go back to Arizona! You are SO lucky! And I'm glad you're back on this side of the country :) One day we're going to go visit our family in AZ and YOU are taking our pictures!! :)

Mallory said... Reply To This Comment

Welcome back!!!

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Yay! Back to Arizona! Now it's time for you to make some GREAT friends!

salena said... Reply To This Comment

i'm so glad you guys are coming back!

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Wow. So complete opposites here. I've lived in Nevada my whole life! So I'm actually kinda jealous of you! Am I crazy??! Hopefully you guys can plant some roots in AZ. Good luck with the move. :)

Erin said... Reply To This Comment

how sad on the aquantinces. I have been moving for the last 12 years and never stay longer than 1-2 years, but I have made dear dear friends wherever I have lived. Fun that you get to move back to AZ, wish we could have got to know you better here.

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Erin,
it is sad, I mean I would like to get to know MORE people very well- but with the busy-ness of my life I've only been able to do that a handful of times over all these moves. I think I'm that kind of person anyway... I prefer to have a few close friends. So it's not really that sad, but it is, since I think a lot of people here are great that I haven't gotten to know as well as I'd like (like you:)

Jules@Chocolateandbabies said... Reply To This Comment

How did I miss this post!?

Congrats on the move to AZ!!!!
I'm so glad you are happy about it.
Being from the east coast, I am constantly dreaming of moving AWAY from AZ.