Sunday, October 23, 2011

sugar cookie fun + recipe

You know those amazing sugar cookies you get in the plastic boxes at the grocery store- that have that bright colored soft frosting and sprinkles on them that are so soft and fat?  Well, this recipe makes those soft and fat sugar cookies.  They are great!  Of course, you can roll them out super thin and make them have more crunch too.  I did that- because it made my shapes come out and look more like what it was supposed to.  When I didn't roll it out thin enough they got all puffy.  I guess puffy owls are cute too, though.  We made these a couple weeks ago.  B loved doing this.  We did it for him, after all.
I told Brody it was time to clean up and this is the face I got.  Haha!  He gave it to me long enough for me to capture it.
We decorated them that night for family night activity.  I made just simple powdered sugar, milk, & food coloring icing for Brody to use.
Brody's creations...
 Yeah I'm still finding these sprinkles around the joint.
Soft Sugar Cookies:
1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 c. flour (sifted)

Directions:  Cream butter, sugar, sour cream, eggs, vanilla until smooth.  Add dry ingredients.  Mix just until combined.  Chill in fridge at least 1 hour.  Roll to 1/2'' thick on floured surface (the thicker, the softer, the less flour, the more flavor)  Bake at 325F for about 11 minutes.  Cookies will look barely done- do not over bake!  (I'm not sure where this recipe originated from- I got it from a friend in my last church ward.)

(Supposed to be) Fall colored leaves, pumpkins, & an owl.  Not red & yellow Christmas trees;)
There she blows.  (She doesn't blow though... these are mighty tasty, seriously.)

7 lovely comments:

Jennifer said... Reply To This Comment

I love grocery store sugar cookies! Sometimes I'm a food snob and don't like store bought stuff, especially cakes, but I love those cookies! Yours turned out cute too, now I kind of wanna make some sugar cookies.

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

those are cute cookies, awe Brody's sad face... hehe so adorable. We made cookies this weekend too. Of course once they got out of the oven the boys grabbed them up when I wasn't looking. ha Happy Monday Connie.

Monique said... Reply To This Comment

I love how much Brody loves helping out in the kitchen. He is a budding artiste, although I'm sure it helps that he can devour the fruits of his labor.

Elisabeth said... Reply To This Comment

I love how even when its just your kids making cookies you come out with gorgeous pictures!

Sarah Kate said... Reply To This Comment

I know exactly the kind of cookies you're talking about at the grocery store! Is it the sour cream in this recipe that makes them turn out so fat and fluffy like those?? I'm definitely going to have to try this!!!

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Ha ha Brody's face! Love it.

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Sarah- yep it's the sour cream! :)