Saturday, October 15, 2011

DIY- Fall Wreath & my Halloween decor

This week I went to craft night at my church.  It's one of my favorite activities all year and sadly the last few times I have missed it, for one reason or the other.  So, I was glad I was able to go this year.  One of the crafts we made were yarn and felt wreaths!  I've seen them all over blogland but didn't realize how simple they were until I started this.  So, I thought I would share this tutorial with those who would like to know.  And anyway I had to do it at home since once again I signed up for too much.
Get:
felt
scissors
hot glue gun
wreath form
yarn
ribbon or lace- to hang
optional: leaves
 First, cut your felt into a wavy circle.  Practice with different size waves and different size wavy circles.
 Cut in a spiral, leave a circle in the middle.. it will be your base.  The thicker your spiral, the taller your flower will be.  Start on the outside and roll in, keeping the bottom in line.
So you have this:
 Put hot glue on bottom, close it up, and trim around the base.
 The yarn part is really straightforward.  Just wind around.  It's monotonous and I wouldn't wish that torture on anyone... but I think it was worth it.  Be lazy and do it a little sloppy like mine or you can be really precise and get it perfect (I don't recommend that... too much work!)
 Use more than one color- really any colors you like.  I thought about adding maroon flowers but didn't feel like driving to the craft store.
 To hang, I took some lace I had left over from this baby shower and tied it around.  I tried it out on my front door (but then brought it in, since I have my halloween stuff up right now).  I realized it was needing one more thing... some leaves!  I think it added so much.
I love it!
It's true, I put up my halloween decorations in mid September.  In Arizona I would've never done this- but it was in the 60's and cold here so I was feeling my fall decorations much sooner this year; and couldn't help myself.  I liked looking back on last years decorations post (in doing so I realized I missed putting out a few things).  So it was nice to be reminded of them.  I found them.  I don't have a mantle in this house so decorating was a little tricky since I need things out of reach of my kids.  Maybe next year I'll have a mantle.  Oh what I would do if I had an unlimited budget for decorations.  But alas...

I made this halloween banner.  I just took some fringed ribbon and hot glued the letters on.  I had to print out the font, trace them on my desired paper, then cut those out.  I used some thick, sparkly, scrapbook paper I found at Michaels.  I clipped some sparkly spiders on it and I really like how it turned out.
It's been a fun festive month so far!

15 lovely comments:

Laura said... Reply To This Comment

Yay!! Love it all! I love the spider web doily thing hanging on your 'mantle'. That's probably my favorite part. :)

Mrs. Biscuit said... Reply To This Comment

Connie you're so creative and your house looks so festive! I absolutely love it!

Oh, and I'm absolutely, positive going to the craft store today to make a yarn wreath! I keep seeing them on etsy and wishing I knew what to do-- now I do! Thanks pretty lady!


<3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

Cynthia said... Reply To This Comment

I love Halloween but not a huge fan of halloween decor. However, your house looks amazing. I love fall decorations and am really wanting to try a wreath like yours. Oooh... thank you for the inspiration.

Venassa said... Reply To This Comment

I never thought those wreaths would be so easy. Your turned out super cute. When I get back into crafting I'd like to try one. Maybe in time for Christmas.

Simplegirl said... Reply To This Comment

That is a beautiful wreath and I love that it's not too hard to make. Thanks for inspiring us!

salena said... Reply To This Comment

good idea to put your pumpkin lights in your indoor tree instead of the window! cute wreath, too.

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

those decorations are so festive. I love em. If I wasn't so lazy, I would make that craft, but sad to say I am lazy ):

wholesouls2 said... Reply To This Comment

As usual, you are amazingly crafty. I love the homey feel you give to your house through the use of your talents! I love you! Love, Mother

Mars said... Reply To This Comment

I love your felt & yarn wreath! Your other Halloween decorations are cute too! I can't wait until I have my own place to decorate...but my wallet can ;)

Joanna Marie said... Reply To This Comment

I really want to try that yarn wreath now, a very christmassy version! I love that you used white for the wreath.. it makes the flowers pop so much more!

Thanks for the tutorial...I had never heard of a yarn wreath before... (and I have loads of yarn in my closet... :-P)

Courtney B said... Reply To This Comment

Shut up. That is the cutest wreath ever. Oh my lanta... I LOVE it!
And your Halloween decorations are darling! :)

Jess said... Reply To This Comment

Your wreath looks so great! Love the rosettes. Like that it works for fall and Halloween.

Vanessa said... Reply To This Comment

Love your wreath! I'd love for you to link up at my Do Something Crafty Friday party: http://vanessascraftynest.blogspot.com/2011/11/do-something-crafty-12.html

Dianna said... Reply To This Comment

Hello! Stopping by from the tatertots & jello link up...

I love your yarn wreath! I too hate wrapping wreaths with yarn but it really is worth it! The colors on yours look great

Dianna
dianna-the-explorer.blogspot.com

Jamie said... Reply To This Comment

Love your wreath. Those flowers are so simple. I'm having a giveaway over at DIY Home Sweet Home. Would love you to stop by and check it out.
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shabby-apple-dress.html