Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Photography and me- Confidence + Patience {part 3}

We had a GREAT 4th of July weekend!  While I'm sorting through those pictures I thought I'd post this, since it's been in my drafts for months now.  I'm excited for part 4.  Couple things I wanted to add from some responses I got on part 2... bascially, my main point in writing these is to remember all the hard work I've put in to it- so one day my kids will see what their mom did.  I'm not saying this is what you can expect if you choose a photography career.  I'm also not saying I'm some kind of photography genius and therefore must impart my knowledge to the masses.  I know I love it and I'm good otherwise I wouldn't invest so much into it- but I've got years ahead of me.  I'm just giving my experience thus far- before time gets away from me and I never document my road-to-photography-perfection.  And real quick, ... I mentioned I got into debt for photography but I wanted to clarify.  I'm not in any way saying debt is a necessary thing, or condoning it.  In fact I'm quite opposed to debt (besides for school, buying a house, etc.  the big ones.)  So if you can, avoid it.  That's kinda a religious belief though (:  When I say I went into "debt" I mean my "connie b photography" bank account was in the negatives.  At that time, it was a figurative "bank account" that I kept track of on a piece of paper.  We bought and paid for all the stuff with our families money first.  And from there I worked on getting my stuff "paid off" through shoot after shoot.  It was sorta the deal my husband and I worked out that worked for us and our family. (;  Just wanted to say that for some reason!  If you have any questions about that stuff from my last post, feel free to email me.
I've learned that if you want to be taken seriously as a photographer, you have to take yourself seriously.  Confidence is key.  I've previously mentioned that I wasn't very confident my first several months of the business but guess what?  I've NEVER said that before these posts.  None of my clients knew I felt that way (& I couldn't say it here because several of them read my blog!  hi guys;).  Even though all I had was my tiny camera and kit lens, I was legit.
You gotta own it.  I didn't apologize for imperfection or mediocre equipment because as long as I was trying and working hard I knew I'd keep getting better.... and soon I'd be able to upgrade from all the money I was making.  Chances are half the people you photograph aren't going to know the difference between the $100 50mm and the $1700 50mm lens.  Keeping that in mind, I tried not to be so hard on myself when I felt inadequate.  Guess what happened?  I DID upgrade- and I DID start seeing HUGE changes take place in the quality of my photos.  I just had to be patient and wait till I could afford it.  (still doing that)  Of course, at every stage I've been at, I WAS honestly proud of my work.  So I believe I was honest with my clients in what I was giving them based off the price at the time and all that.
At the same time I wasn't being hard on myself, I was hard on myself!  haha.  I was in a tasteful way, of course.  And by that I mean, I made goals in my head I wanted to achieve.  I wasn't settling, I still don't.  With every shoot I did, I told myself, next time I won't make that mistake or that one.  After a while I stopped feeling nervous about the turnout and I knew it would be a great shoot.  One thing that helped me feel more confident was my two digital photography classes at school.  When I'd think, "am I doing this right?" or "am I translating the manual right?"... those classes helped me realize I WAS doing things the right way- and that it's not as complex as I was making it.  Although- in photography there is a lot to learn.  Just, once you learn it, it becomes second nature and you don't worry about it anymore.  I still have MUCH I want to learn/improve on.  I do think it's something you can continually explore.  There's no end to learning.
I know a lot of people love photography but feel like they are in a rut - like they can't get any better, or they don't know how!  I've been there!  I'm still there in a lot of ways.  Mostly because I want so many lenses/camera bodies but I don't have $10,000 sitting around.  My advice is to just keep practicing- just take more pictures and soon it'll *click.  (pun definitely intended).
*random pictures. haha!  By the way don't you LOVE that gumball machine?!  I found it at a thrift store here like 5 months ago for FIVE bucks!!  My grandparents had this same one at their house and I always loved it.  I'd visit them with a pocket full of pennies :p  Brody is obsessed with gum balls now.. but since I have yet to find gum smashed in the carpet, I'm not too worried.  Oh, and that machine is as old as ME!  See the 1985?  That doesn't make it "vintage", I hope (;

14 lovely comments:

thinkpriddy said... Reply To This Comment

did you use a timer for these photos?

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

No, I have a wireless remote. It's the only way I'd do something like this (took 10 minutes as opposed to an hour or something;)

Lissa Chandler said... Reply To This Comment

these photographs are so pretty! i love them (and the gumball machine, too).

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

I am in awe. These photos are nice... and NO so not vintage, because I do not allow it. haha I am a year older and if someone says that you're vintage, then.. I'm going to cry a little hahaha
Thank for posting and thanks for the advice (:

Ivy said... Reply To This Comment

I am inspired by your bravery. Tackling that fear of "am I good enough" is so hard... one that still stifles me.
I love your work and your ethic.
Kuddos to you for putting yourself out there.
Cheers~Ivy

Mrs. Biscuit said... Reply To This Comment

Connie you're inspirational! I always love reading what you have to say, and thankfully today my computer is actually letting me comment--which it hasn't been doing lately :(

Anywhooo... YOU'RE AWESOME!

<3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

p.s. I had that same exact gumball machine when I was little! I wonder if it's still in my parent's garage!!?!

Brea said... Reply To This Comment

I LOVE the gumball machine!!! Super cute photos! I think you're a wonderful photographer and I still want you to do a photo shoot for me one day... :)

April and Mark said... Reply To This Comment

Awesome advice and tips, thanks for sharing!

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

LOVE these pics!

and i'm kinda obsessed with gumball machines. so obsessed, in fact, that my hubby got me one for christmas. because i point them out EVERY time i see one. aha.

Courtney B said... Reply To This Comment

I love reading these even though I have no clue how to handle a camera!! I'm hoping when we have babies to get a fancy (ha-fancy to us) camera to take pretty pictures of our babes. Anyway, I love reading these :)
And whyyyyy can't I live close to you?! I want you to our pictures soo badly!
And Connie, you are GORGEOUS!

alian said... Reply To This Comment

Wow - love these photos. Absolutely gorgeous.



destination wedding photographer

Randi Gardner said... Reply To This Comment

that is definitely my weak point. I need to work on the confidence. The photography business is just so competitive. It's such a work in progress. And I think you are right, ever since my boy was born and I committed to at least one photo a day of him it has really helped me grow and get better. it's all about the practice.

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Love the gum!

Samantha Rose said... Reply To This Comment

Whoa. I have your exact same suitcase. You're so pretty. Your day sounded like a blast.