Tuesday, May 3, 2011

They are my heroes

I was a bit of a tomboy when I was growing up.  Not the, eat mud, tear-limbs-off-barbies kind.  But the build forts with my brothers, spit, and watch spiderman, kind.  Actually I'd watch all those- superman, batman, you name it.  They were bit of childhood heroes (or at least that's what they wanted me to think) But I knew, thanks to a wonderful, full of service father, who the real heroes were.

When September 11th happened, I was in the car heading from seminary to my high school.  My first period class, Marine Biology, was watching it on TV.  I didn't know the meaning of it all as well as I do now.  I still don't understand everything about what's going on over there but I do know some.  My heart still aches for people affected that day.

I know that my army dad left our family (still married to my mom, don't worry) to serve in the Pentagon my entire senior year.  I saw him at Christmas and graduation- otherwise he was 3,000 miles away that whole year.  My grad cap had american flags on it and "Daddy's girl"  I was proud of him.

He volunteered to serve in Iraq for a year.  My dad has served his country for nearly 30 years.  There is just one story of one soldier doing his part.  Both of my grandpas served, my great grandpa served.     I have a huge amount of respect for men and women in the armed services.  There's nothing like seeing troops march in unison or train together.  I love the camaraderie!
At the end of the day, I believe, those who fight for our freedom are our everyday heroes.  Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all you do and all you've done.  And a special thanks to you, dad.  I love you.

11 lovely comments:

Warren Baldwin said... Reply To This Comment

Linked from Jan and Ariel's blog. Good post. I agree with you - those who oppose the war and take it out by criticizing the troops are misplacing their anger. The troops deserve our support and prayers. I'm a minister and have performed several weddings for our troops. For two of them the groom was leaving for the war shortly after the wedding. That was sure tough on the family. I niece married a guy who had already served three tours and was done. That one was easier. Hope your dad continues to be safe.

wb
Family Fountain

Sasha said... Reply To This Comment

Wow, that is so cool. Thanks to you and your family for serving!

Autumn said... Reply To This Comment

Lucky for me people like your Dad serve. What a sacrifice!

Mars said... Reply To This Comment

how awesome we have such dedicated people like your dad to serve and protect our country!

Ailinh said... Reply To This Comment

I love this post. Ever since being an army wife, I've definitely taken a whole new look on the military. We drove down the highway through Virginia into D.C. and when I looked out the window there were just trees everywhere. I couldn't help but think "Wow... there were men who probably ran through those woods with weapons in war hundreds of years ago..." The armed forces have come a long way and I couldn't be any more proud of what they do each day!

Ailinh said... Reply To This Comment

Oh, and p.s I've been voting for you TWO times a day. One from each computer. I'll say one is from me and the other is from hub's comp. He doesn't know it, but no wo-wo's. He'll think it's cool. :)

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

What an amazing post. I am grateful for your father and everyone who is serving in the military.

Melody said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for the tribute to your Dad! You brought him to tears, "Daddy's Girl!" Love, Mom

JED said... Reply To This Comment

Now I am embarrassed...

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Dad- don't be! I was happy to hear it (:

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

since you know... I can have that effect on a big tough army man (;