Saturday, April 23, 2011

the next big thing

Several months back I proudly proclaimed the debut of our then 2 year old's, brand-spankin' new... cars potty.  Anyone who knows Brody knows he's a sharp one, so I didn't think it was too early to start potty training him.  And it probably wasn't..  at least for him.
Blame me, mommy dearest.  I wasn't wasn't ready for it so I put it off.  From the time we bought it till the time I plopped out Hyrum I was in indescribable pain.  Well I could probably describe it to you but then you would wish I hadn't.  It was pregnancy related- let's just leave it there.  So, as I said, I put it off.  ME.  I put potty training off, because quite frankly it sounded like less of a hassle to.
Then I made more excuses like the huge move.. was I about to stop every hour for our heavy drinker??  Yeah no.  So, sorry Brody but we'll dust your potty off some other time.   ...Then we moved in, got settled (wait, do I feel settled?), and placed it in the bathroom downstairs.  Trips for cupcakes sounded a whole lot better than sitting at home making trips to the potty so I put it off some more.  FINALLY, I checked the weather and decided THIS week, the week of rain and more rain, I'd do it.  (So of course it hasn't hardly rained.. minus one day and part of another where it was cloudy and a tornado warning happened in the middle of the night).  Anyway it seemed like a good week to shut myself in, all hermit-like.
I started on Monday and insisted with my less-gunho side that this WAS happening, no turning back!  Monday was a bit of a disaster- which I'm sure every mother who's done this can relate to.  Tuesday was MILES better! And wednesday?  Well... I actually made a chart... see???....
No accidents since Tuesday and Thursday night he didn't even pee all night!  (I'm still putting pull-ups on him at night.. does that sound about right?)  Anyway, I can't believe how easy it was once I actually did it.  I'm proud to say by Thursday Brody survived a 4 hour trip around town running errands without a single problem.  I'm so proud of him- but more so, Brody is proud of himself!!  He loves telling me he has to go potty and talks about how he doesn't wear "baby diapers" anymore.
Funny story from the first day diaper free... one of Brody's accidents took place on the kitchen floor while my back was turned.  He took a dish towel and blotted it up himself and later explained to me that the reason he didn't need to go pee was because he "already did"... "i cleaned it up because I didn't want you to see it" he tells me.  Haha!  I love that he tells me everything.  (unlike the time he stole my wedding ring and we couldn't find it for a week;)
Just a couple things we did while we were shut in practically all week.  Brody had tons of fun with both- thank you target.  The dollar section sold those cute little potted plants, I thought we'd try them out.. it was a perfect activity for Brody.  

He's potty trained!!!  ...phew.
Happy Easter!!

ps. thank you for continuing to vote for me!  And for anyone who voted for her too (:  My dad was like... what is this for?  It's just fun!!  Love you all!

13 lovely comments:

Signe said... Reply To This Comment

Congratulations to Brody! (and parents!) Austin was pretty easy too, but I had help because he was in daycare all day while I worked. But once he was trained he was trained all day and night. It's a wonderful feeling!

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

Yay!!! Good for you and Brody!

I'm scared for that. At least I don't have to worry about it for a while :)

Eeny said... Reply To This Comment

Yeah, way to go, Brody! =)

He so cute, cleaning everything up by himself. So so so sweet of him.

Happy Easter to you and your family, Connie.

Melissa said... Reply To This Comment

my husband and i bought the tomato and strawberry ones!
the tomatoes are growing very quickly :)

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

Awe great job Brody!! you are the potty training champ. (: and great job to you too for helping him with it. The potted plants are a great way to spend an afternoon or day... (:

Jaime said... Reply To This Comment

Congrats to Brody!! Wahoo!
Once you go under-roos, you never go back. It might seem like a hassle, more cleaning, etc... but it gets the whole diaper and pull-up thing out of their system. =)

Love the dyed eggs!!

love_b said... Reply To This Comment

don't you just love how easy it is when they are finally using the potty! and you wish you would have done it a long time ago? haha

salena said... Reply To This Comment

three is the magic number for boys anyways! maybe it's good you waited, he might not have picked it up as fast if you did it earlier?
you'll be so grateful you have boys when you're in a place with no bathroom! for me it's just, "go find a bush!" :)

Natalie said... Reply To This Comment

You are the greatest mom ever! Ladies and 'gents, I've seen her in action; I testify it's true! She's wonderful hehe.

I miss you grrrrr stupid long-distance, lol. Speaking of which, just caught up on my Connie blog stalking. Love the Connie-Tony love story. I've heard it before and I still love it! :) You iz da besttt!

Devin & Ruthann said... Reply To This Comment

We potty trained Henry this week too! I put it off for the reason of having a newborn, then his broken leg, so finally we buckled down and did it. It was so much easier than I thought it would be! Jax was no problem to potty train, but I was so nervous about Henry since he hadn't really shown interest before. But, he has been amazing and I'm so glad he's done with diapers!

I do Pull-ups at night too. It's just because I'm too lazy to get up with him during the night. When he gets a little older and can go on his own we'll stop w/ Pull-ups, but for now, it works for us!

arielle @ a beautiful journey. said... Reply To This Comment

just stumbled upon your blog...love it! :)
you have such an adorable family...

blessings!

Lacey said... Reply To This Comment

That is wonderful and sounds so easy! I'm sure you had to have down played it some right!?!? My MIL said she used a peeing doll to teach my husband. Love that. Makes me laugh.

JED said... Reply To This Comment

Brody is way too cool. I miss my little man.