Monday, March 7, 2011

photography and me {part 1 of many}

Most of the questions I get from readers are about my photography.  I do appreciate kind words from random strangers and stuff (who wouldn't, hello).  But I have to say... photography is not all peaches and cream.  It's not all happiness and sunshine.  (how else can I say this?)  Sometimes?  It can be straight up depressing (dun dun duuuuun!!).  All in all though, it has been the most rewarding thing I have ever pursued.  It's a crazy world though... not for the faint at heart.  I have noticed a lot of people taking an interest in photography- whether it's to take better pictures of your kids, start a business, or just for fun, I thought I'd share a little bit about what this little journey has been to me...my journey to learn a thing or two about the world of photography.
_MG_8587blog
For starters, for the first...oh... year... I was never satisfied with my pictures.  I thought they were decent enough to charge (if people only KNEW how much work it is) but I didn't feel they were up to what I wanted for myself.  Oh wait.... I STILL FEEL THAT WAY!  However, I do feel MILES more confident now than ever.  I think it's a good thing though (to be a little hard on myself)- because for me it means I am still going to teach myself stuff... I'm still going to sit and google for hours on end which lenses will best suit me, how to do certain things, what certain photog terms mean, because WHY?!  Because I take this gig VERY seriously.  To me, if I'm not going to keep working to be the best (best for my OWN standards) then I'm not progressing.  If I'm not progressing I'll always feel the way I did a year ago- not satisfied.
_MG_8584blog copy
_MG_8591blog
{sure was windy today}
In the next few weeks (or however long it takes me to get my feelings out) I'm going to randomly throw in one of these posts.... a "photography and me" post.  I sat down last summer to write one and guess what?  It was like 100 pages long.  More or less.  So that's partly why I thought to break it up.  I don't want to bore anyone (heaven forbid;)

In all seriousness though guys, I have a lot to say about it.  It's been one of the greatest things yet one of the hardest flipping things I've ever worked to do.  Stay tuned for the posts (if you care dare)  And feel free to ask questions if you have any I can address.  Peace out.
_MG_8604blog
stay tuned for.. no sleep, guilt, tears and debt.  Oh yes.
did I mention I was serious? I sure look serious. HAHA!

12 lovely comments:

Lissa Clair said... Reply To This Comment

i agree with everything you wrote in this post. photography is hard work! and deciding when and how to price is almost as hard as the photography itself. i'm excited to see what you have to say!

Ashley Eliza said... Reply To This Comment

so stoked for this! you are beautiful!!!! also what camera and lens do you use?

xoxo

Autumn said... Reply To This Comment

It's like that in most fields, but it is easy to think something looks fun when you aren't investing the time into it ;)

I love photography and I love having shoots, but I am still in the stage where I realize I have talent, but I am very insecure about my work still.

Venassa said... Reply To This Comment

I am so excited for this. I know barely anything about photography but I've been pretty much obsessed with it for well over a year now.

Lacey said... Reply To This Comment

I'm so excited to hear what you have to say! I've been thinking about turning my hobby into a business, but I feel like there are so many things I need to learn.

~M~ said... Reply To This Comment

You are so talented! I am looking forward to the future posts on photography!!

Jessica Lynn said... Reply To This Comment

Wait, isn't photography as easy and point and shoot?

Oh dang, I suppose I will just keep pretending it is. I'm excited for the rest of this series.

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Thank you Jessica Lynn you said exactly what I hoped someone would say! I'm sure there are a lot of people who think that so I'm getting ready to set the record straight (;

Nicole said... Reply To This Comment

I cannot wait for these posts!

Nicole said... Reply To This Comment
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said... Reply To This Comment

You are very talented! These pictures are gorgeous. :) I am a new follower, and I can't wait to catch up on your posts. ~Natalie

amy said... Reply To This Comment

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of your photography posts!! :)