Thursday, January 27, 2011

More of Tony's birthday & {rainbow cake recipe}

So I just realized this month has been my biggest blogging month ever - as in the most posts in a month.. um...lucky you?  haha.  Yeeeeah.  Guess I've been catching up since the holidays got us so busy.
Here's some more of Tony's bday... my mom decorated for us just like this every birthday so obviously it doesn't feel like a birthday unless I do too. (;  Tony had a spoiled birthday (I have the job of making it seem extra special and not like he's getting some leftover Christmas presents I left in the closet).  His favorite gift from me was probably an HD DVR receiver for our directv.  Am I making all 3 guys that read this jealous?  (hi dad)
Tony requested "rainbow cake" this year- it's easy peasy to make plus- it's yummy and looks pretty so I thought I'd share the recipe!
While I decorated and baked the cake Brody watched the first season of the smurfs and Hyrum got some tummy time in.
_MG_4887
_MG_4750
_MG_4766
_MG_4778
_MG_4855
_MG_4828
_MG_4830
_MG_4829
_MG_4847
_MG_4861blog
_MG_4865
_MG_4870
_MG_4824
Rainbow Cake Recipe:
(recipe from my mother-in-law)
Ingredients:
2 baked 8 or 9 inch white cake layers cooled
2 pkg. 3oz. each- jello, any two flavors (I like orange and cherry)
2 cups boiling water
1 8oz. container cool-whip thawed

Instructions:
Place cake layers, top sides up in 2 clean layer pans, poke each cake with fork all over.  Dissolve each flavor gelatin separately in 1 cup of the boiling water and carefully spoon each over one of the cake layers.

Chill 3-4 hours.  Dip cake pan in warm water for 10 seconds and turn out onto serving plate.  Top with 1 cup of the whipped topping.  Unmold the second cake layer and place carefully on first layer.  Frost top and sides with remaining topping.  Chill.
_MG_4875 copy
_MG_4881blog
And enjoy!

17 lovely comments:

Ashley Eliza said... Reply To This Comment

yummm.. i want to make it. and please never cut brody's hair. i just love it!

xoxo

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

That cake looks so delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Brody and Hyrum are so cute (: I also dig the decorations. Happy Belated Birthday to Tony!!

{andthisiswhatshesaid} said... Reply To This Comment

Awww so cute. and yum that cake looks good.

Pia said... Reply To This Comment

Connie, I love your pictures!
The cake looks amazing. I wish I could have some of that.

Kathleen said... Reply To This Comment

Your pictures are amazing, they make me want to be a better photographer!

Monique said... Reply To This Comment

These photos are gorgeous! So bright and cheery. I have made cupcakes using this recipe (blue raspberry for a baby shower) so I know they taste as good as they look.

Annie said... Reply To This Comment

the cake looks SO YUMMY and i love all the photos!! :)
glad your hubby had a great birthday!

Lay said... Reply To This Comment

That cake looks delicious! Will have to try sometime (actually, my fiance's bday is next month... this would be PERFECT).

ps.. I so wish I lived near you, your photos are amazing beyond words. xo

Shalyn said... Reply To This Comment

Your kids are so darn cute! Thanks for that recipe- looks delish!

Brittany said... Reply To This Comment

that cake is incredible! :) i'll have to remember that come july when it's my husbands birthday!

Melody said... Reply To This Comment

Ummmm...Cake! I also love that you have kept up the tradition of decorating on the birthdays. If I have time, I may make this for Seminary night tonight, but if not, I'll save it for my birthday! Love, Mother

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Happy birthday Tony!
PS I super duper loving all your animated gifs and that video you made.. sooo funny! You've got some talent my friend. :)

ailinh harris said... Reply To This Comment

seriously, how cooler than cake get?! Thanks for sharing the recipe. And I love the photos by the way, so adorable, I can't even contain myself! The birthday looks so fun. Happy belated birthday to your little man.

ailinh harris said... Reply To This Comment

oh my word. Is Tony your husband? Okay, this is my first time on your page, so now I feel terribly awkward! hahaha I am so sorry, oh man. Okay, I'm signing out before I look like a bigger dork.

Hannah said... Reply To This Comment

What an adorable party!!

mandyface said... Reply To This Comment

i spy with my little eye rainbow chip frosting. well done.

Shermeen said... Reply To This Comment

I followed a link and came across your blog. Of course like everyone else I love your pictures but what's making me leave this comment is "There's Jelly inside this cakes?"
I have NEVER heard of anything like that, what does it taste like. Usually, jelly and ice-cream, great at a kids party. But never jelly in a cake. You American's amaze me, first it was the wonder of ice-cream cake, which we don't have here but now I want to make a jelly cake! xx