Sunday, January 9, 2011

just like the movies

I feel so responsible every time I buy a new article of clothing when I save the complimentary packet of extra buttons.  I get a little taste of Christmas morning with those companies who would not only supply extra buttons (and possibly one of each size, depending on the garment and variety of buttons thereon) but they'd also include a small coil of thread along with it.  How generous and magical!
_MG_4717
It's almost as if my new cardigan's lifespan increases by decades...swiftly becoming an indestructible asset to my wardrobe.  Nevermind the pit stains and unraveling neckline- my buttons are NEW BABY!
Obviously an item of such great value (extra buttons) needs to be held on to- CLINGED to!  After all, if I don't,  certainly at any moment a button will go flying off and I'll never be able to replace it (too unique, you know).  Can't have that.

See, this has been my thinking all this time.  I've been sitting around completely and utterly satisfied with myself...satisfied knowing everything is all good and that I have all my bases covered by saving those little buttons and thread coils.
_MG_4719
Wasn't till the umpteenth time re-watching our Seinfeld episodes on DVD that I realized my actual mistake- that what I was holding onto for dear life all these years (a whole decade in the making, mind you) was a complete waste of time.  Jerry said it best with:

Well la-de-dah.  Despite my changed button-belief-system I'm going to continue to add to my freaktastic button collection, thank YOU.  Blame it on my paranoia in some 25 year old conspiracy that someone, somewhere is just trying to mess with me, but I just know the second I throw them out every button my modesty counts on will spontaneously pop off into some gutter somewhere.  Thanks Jerry for solidifying what I already suspected about myself but no matter what choice I make here- to save the buttons or not save the buttons, it doesn't make any difference.  I'm in too deep.  Must... save... extra...buttons... (says the apparent "sicko")

You save them too right?

Looks like I'm not the only one living life like the movies: (at least Brody's character has a endearing accent unlike me who plays the faceless button saving weirdo. *defeated sigh.)


and by the way Brody's clip really had nothing to do with the pink panther (crabby patties, yes)- but it reminded me of it!

20 lovely comments:

Signe said... Reply To This Comment

Funny! I keep all my buttons, too! If I put them all together and you and I got together, we could probably re-button our entire families' wardrobes! :)

Brooke said... Reply To This Comment

AH! I didn't even think of saving them, I just throw them away! I'm definitely not going to do that anymore!

Jennifer said... Reply To This Comment

I always save my extra buttons. I have yet to use any of them, but what if I needed them and didn't have them?

Lyndsay said... Reply To This Comment

I save all my buttons too! I have often wondered if it is a waste of time but like you I am in too deep and continue. Oh well, we're prepared right? :)

Bitten Usagi said... Reply To This Comment

I totally save them too. I've only had to use one but I donated clothes a while back& even stuck extra buttons to some that I still had from when I bought em. Hope a button saver gets them. Haha!

Jennifer said... Reply To This Comment

I just gave you a blog award back at my blog. Check it out! :)

Lacey said... Reply To This Comment

I save mine. I do, but not as organized as you are:)

Kell said... Reply To This Comment

I save mine, too! But I take them out of the plastic and just put them all in a bowl.

Whitney said... Reply To This Comment

I save mine too. They are all put into a drawer in my room. What if? You never know. Brody and his accent are so cute.

Venassa said... Reply To This Comment

Yup, I save mine. When I moved last time though I went through the task of getting rid of the ones I still had, but didn't have the article of clothing it belonged with. My collection was huge.

Staci said... Reply To This Comment

I have never saved mine, but after my daughter got this gift from my mom, I'm thinking about starting. Maybe you can use the idea for your extra buttons! http://bearybrown.blogspot.com/2011/01/cute-little-gift.html

Fiery Jack said... Reply To This Comment

Dude, that Brody and Pink Panther thing are amazing.

Pia said... Reply To This Comment

Suddenly, I feel really really bad that I never save the buttons...

And YES, I also think we'd have tons of fun if we hung out! I wish we could!

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

hahaha... that is hilarious. I think I throw the extra buttons away (: but I think you are great for saving them lol

Devin & Ruthann said... Reply To This Comment

Yep, I'm a button saver. I have a little drawer where I keep them all.

Tony said... Reply To This Comment

haha i love all the clips on this post! Seinfeld, B man, Steve Martin....its a murderers row of comedians!!

Eeny said... Reply To This Comment

Brody is the cutest. I just love how kids say certain words "wrong" in the cutest way. My little girl I used to watch as an Au Pair used to say "rocamotrol" instead of "remote control" - too cute.

Monique said... Reply To This Comment

At least you have a designated place for your buttons. I keep them in the little baggies that they come in, but stuff them in random places. This is such a funny post. J'adore quirkiness!

wholesouls2 said... Reply To This Comment

This is a great post! I started laughing the moment I started reading it because I too save buttons just like you! Then, when Brody copied Steve Martin's accent for hamburger, I continued laughing. Brody is soooo cute. I miss him! Love, Mom, Grandma Nelson

JED said... Reply To This Comment

I love a ham bur gher too!