Tuesday, July 13, 2010

redeeming myself

When I started back at school full-time a lot of my classes took me away from home in the evening.  I was the world's greatest student (toot toot) but not the worlds greatest...wife?  NO I WAS- just not in the... kitchen.  I felt pretty bad most of the dinners we consumed came in a paper bag with plastic forks.  So my mission has been to create meals and NOT our 4 go-to meals that I make ALLLLLL the time. (spaghetti & tacos to name two)

But what did I FORGET to bring to Oklahoma? My friggin COOKBOOKS!  I realized that when I went to make dinner one day.  Luckily, I have a few of my own recipes on this here blog.  So the night I went to make homemade tortillas I had my favorite tortilla recipe right there for me.  I knew blogging recipes would come in handy someday.

A couple weeks ago I went in search for new recipes online since my cookbooks were left- I went to one of my favorite bloggers recipe links and tried a bunch of her dinner recipes out. So, I HAD to share my favorite one and give you my opinion on two more that we tried...

First was:

"Grilled Chicken Pasta in a Tomato Cream Sauce" ...in other words, "OHM NOM NOM HOLY CRAP GIMME MORE" 

I added this recipe to my blog for you... I RECOMMEND IT- it tastes like something you'd order in an overpriced italian place.  Tony even asked for it again so we've had it lots now.  And incase you were wondering, it microwaves beautifully the next day too... and the next.. and next.  (I made too much I think haha)

Next was:

"Becky Higgins' Garlic Chicken Farfale"


I must've been in a pasta mood that week.  OKAY... this one????  I'd be lying if I told you I didn't enjoy it.  But half of me really didn't enjoy it... for one reason and one reason only.  THE CALORIES!  This dish, I would TOTALLY recommend trying.  BUT hows about as a side dish so you don't have to feel like you loaded yourself up on butter for dinner.  I made the mistake of just looking at the picture- and then the list of ingredients instead of reading how to make it.  It wasn't until I started making it that I realized the only ingredients in the sauce were 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 stick of butter, and 1 pound of bacon.  CRIPES!!  Now, I'm sure most of the pastas you get at places are just as loaded... but KNOWING it made me feel the guilt even harder.  And thence, made it less enjoyable.  But if we were grading this based on flavor I'd give it an A.

And lastly we had what she calls

"Pan Seared Salmon Steakettes"


I love salmon- especially since I know it has health benefits.  I would eat it weekly if I knew several different ways to prepare it.  (I know I could just google stuff but yeah anyways).  So I was glad to find a different way to make salmon!  There were a couple of drawbacks with this recipe... and I think it had something to do with my crappy pan but we'll see what happens when I do this again in Arizona with my skillet.  But the "dales steak sauce" you marinade it in made my apartment sooooooo smokey!  It was almost painful to eat it since we were surrounded with smoke.  I thought it was my fault but I made it twice and even on medium heat it smoked like crazy!  The other thing I have to say as a disclaimer- even though you are preparing it like steak, it does not taste like steak (she says it does but I don't think so).  I even marinaded it longer than she recommended.  I guess it tastes as much like steak as salmon can but really it just tastes like delicious salmon!... you can't go wrong with that though since salmon is wonderful.  I really liked it, like I said- I'll be trying it again!

Anyway I love making delicious FRESH dinners- it really beats the processed foods sold in the freezer section.  Plus, I feel accomplished when I didn't take the easy road when making dinner.  So here's to fulfilling my wifey duties and making dinner more often....
I'm trying out more of her recipes this week so maybe one or two will wind up as a favorite recipe here.

17 lovely comments:

Mauri said... Reply To This Comment

MMm those all sound and look delicious. I would also have a hard time enjoying the one with a stick of butter, heavy whipping cream, and bacon but either way I bet it was good!

Eeny said... Reply To This Comment

Yummmm... everything looks good. I am sure I will try the grilled chicken pasta. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Marissa said... Reply To This Comment

Yum!!

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Pregnancy has stolen my cooking mojo! Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration. Maybe I'll actually make dinner tonight.. maybe. ;)

QueenBee said... Reply To This Comment

Yummmmmm. I totally want teryaki salmon on fettucine alfredo- my FAVE. Seriously Connie we might have to start a cooking/baking blog together. You make dinner and I'll do dessert AND the dishes! Ha ha ha! All the dishes look sensational!

the southern hostess said... Reply To This Comment

I could eat pasta all day long. Yum!

Amanda said... Reply To This Comment

all those recipes look so good!

Devin & Ruthann said... Reply To This Comment

Pasta is like my favorite thing and these look delicious! I've got to try them!

Alissa said... Reply To This Comment

Yum I can't decide which one is my fave. They just kept getting better, thanks for sharing.

Lecia said... Reply To This Comment

Connie, I need to know how to use my bags of food storage pinto beans to make really yummy homemade refried beans. Any suggestions?

Alexandria said... Reply To This Comment

Yum. All of those look SO good and now I want salmon (my fave) at 10:30 in the morning!

Nom nom nom!

JED said... Reply To This Comment

What no steak? No bacon?

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Dad, did you NOT read this!? There's a POUND of bacon in that second pasta dish!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said... Reply To This Comment

Oh yummy, those looks delicious!

Whitney said... Reply To This Comment

These look ssssoooooooooooooo goood. I will be making these starting tomorrow.

p.S- Did you defriend me on facebook?
P.S.S- I updated my blog just for you sugar britches. ;)

Emma said... Reply To This Comment

these all look so delicious! i love trying new recipes!

Gwen said... Reply To This Comment

I have too many things to say.

your blog is adorable
that past looks delicious
your family is adorable
i want to be your best friend


Could you please tell me how I could get in touch with whoever did your blog design? Thank you!

gwenisinlove {at} gmail dot com