Tuesday, July 6, 2010

red, white, and blue

4th of July 2008... monsoon rolled in that night in Arizona (didn't see fireworks, but still had an off the hook party during the day)
4th 2009... rained in Oklahoma and we didn't see a show (we did our own in the rain though!)
2010...rain rain rain.
IMG_2290
I was slightly disappointed it rained on our parade the last three years in a row but that didn't stop us from enjoying our time together as a family!  And actually, thanks to the rain our celebration turned into two.. then three days.  I think our country deserves a longer celebration anyway- hooray USA!
On the third...
IMG_2279
7-3-10celebrate the 4th! (6)
Chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.. heaven on a fork.  My two cents:  rather than bake the chips into the mix and risk burning the chocolate (and making a mess of your pan) just cook the pancakes normally and put a handful of chocolate chips in between them when they are still hot.  Nothing better!  
IMG_2341
IMG_2353
We went to Toy Story 3- all three of us (for the first time ever) and it was a success!  Brody sat through it all and even wanted more when it was over.  We spent time at the park, Tony played basketball with his friends and later we got hot wings (my latest addiction).  We picked up some sparklers at a stand and then swept by the local carnival/"art in the park" and got a snow cone at this cute stand.  It was so wet all day but a great day it was.
IMG_2357
The fourth was really chill... church, I made an excellent dinner (which I'll post a recipe soon... you gotta try it!), and we saw some fireworks from our 3rd floor view that were REALLY close so it was neat.  It was the first year I watched all the firework shows on TV too (thank you rain). 
7-4-10 4th of july (2)
I did have a break down though.  ALL I wanted was to light sparklers.  (Well that and eat watermelon.. which I've been eating all by myself since neither Tony nor Brody care for it)  Anyway after we found out the fireworks show was postponed I knew I'd at LEAST get to enjoy my sparklers.  One match turned into two which turned into seven.. and eventually the whole box.  The sparklers we bought were DUDS (besides the one that showed some life by EXPLODING IN MY FACE)!  My hopes and dreams of a spark flying night were dashed into oblivion within a few depressing minutes.  I cried and Tony got a kick out of my sad prego-moment.  Haha! (It's not usually like me to cry over sparklers)  He was so sweet "you're so cute" he tells me.  I felt semi cute until I looked at these pictures though... the stripes enhance the belly (not what I'm going for haha).  Anyway.  There's more where this came from but for another day.


festivities to be continued....

16 lovely comments:

Jennifer said... Reply To This Comment

I disagree about the stripes. They enhance the belly, at least when it looks like a pregnant belly instead of a donut gut. You look cute!

Alexa Mae said... Reply To This Comment

love love love these pics. you are so dang pretty. love your hair!! and your cute lil belly. i love sparklers too. and i too, hate when they are duds. love you!!

Rasha said... Reply To This Comment

Cute pics! loving this.

salena said... Reply To This Comment

those pancakes look freaking amazing. do you have any left? i'll be right over.

Makay said... Reply To This Comment

Wow. That looks like a TON of funnnn! :D

-makay

Hil said... Reply To This Comment

I think we are going to have Chocolate Chip pancakes Connie style for dinner tonight... love that idea!

Your pregnant belly looks adorable with the stripes. Looks like you guys had a wonderful holiday!

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

i was going to say that i LOVE that shirt on you. it makes the belly look so cute and i can actually kinda sorta tell that it is there. i can never tell in any other pics. hahaha you are adorable! and it sounds like a fun fourth!

Marissa said... Reply To This Comment

What a great pancake tip! bummer aout the sparklers :(

Melody said... Reply To This Comment

Where have I been? But, I am glad I checked this tonight, even though I certainly will have to wait until at least the morning to make the choco chips pancakes--yummy...also the post below of the peaches---I too think there's nothing better than a sweet peach, and all your pictures on the post are amazing. How did you get such good ones of the fireworks? Love, Mom

Albert James. Erica Ann. Ruby Mae. said... Reply To This Comment

You're adorable. I think the stripes look great!

Brea said... Reply To This Comment

YOU ARE SO CUTE!!!!

Anne said... Reply To This Comment

I had like 12 pieces of watermelon on the 4th, and thought of my whole nelson fam. :) And I'm sorry!Its not a prego moment, there has to be sparklers or somehthing to celebrate, maybe next year you will do like grandma does and catch the tv fireworks!

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

@Anne it WAS a pregnant moment because I DID see the shows on TV and we did get a front row seat at some fireworks (the ones I took pictures of) haha! I just really had my heart set on sparklers (;

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Oh man... pregnancy moment! I'm sorry your sparklers didn't work. And that stripe shirt is adorable. :)

JED said... Reply To This Comment

You must really like the Fourth of July Connie. You start celebrating on the third and end on the fifth! I can't complain, I got a four day pass and spent every moment of it with your mom. We caught fireworks at Fort Belvoir, and the weather cooperated; it was supposed to get hot, but it was really nice. Last year was like a swamp. I always loved buying fireworks, but unfortunately they became illegal in CA. Can you imagine? The one thing I really love and it is usually illegal where I live. Sorry about your sparklers.

amy said... Reply To This Comment

the choc. chip pancake looks delicious!!!

sounds like ya'll had a good day! :)