Saturday, June 19, 2010

It's picnic month...

My sister called my attention to a contest going on... (share pictures of a picnic and write why it was special to you) and well, not only would I like to win but this picnic story is really worth sharing.  It was the only picture-taking experience I've had where I fought back tearing up...the story behind it is really special.  Before I continue, thank you to my family, friends, blog friends, and others for reading my blog and always leaving such nice words here!!  I wish I had more time to thank you individually.
IMG_6285
Last summer I met Alexa through her blog- we had both been asked to guest post and so after she said hi to me we became blog friends.  Months after that I had found out her husband was in critical condition in the hospital- that she almost lost him in his sleep, due to a stroke.  Thinking about her with her two small children- not knowing if he was going to make it, was heartbreaking.  I didn't even know her in real life but I cared that she was okay.  It was such a blessing that Chellis, her husband, pulled through it.  Although... things weren't the way they were before- he is now in a wheelchair, and learning how to live life this whole new way.
IMG_6202
IMG_6156
For Alexa and her family, it has been a hard long road... after her husband was released from the hospital, things were challenging on a whole new level.  The thing is though, you'd never know it.  Her blog is incredibly positive, focusing on the beauty in her life- rather than let her circumstance get her down.  I'm sure seeing her husband unable to completely function the way he used to is just one struggle- but also, I've witnessed the physical struggle it is.  And it was immensely humbling.
IMG_6242
I watched Alexa lift her husband out of her car and also through the fence that led us to our picnic spot.  She helped him down on the ground for some of our shots, made him feel comfortable when he couldn't adjust himself.   I could tell it was a struggle, and I wished there was more I could do.  Sure, I helped as much as I could while we were there but I knew she did a lot of this alone at home every day.
IMG_6261vintage.
IMG_6321
The best part was hearing them laugh when the biggest physical struggles came..  when it got really hard, they laughed.  They laughed that it felt like a workout- and joked they might just look sweaty in the pictures.
IMG_6285
IMG_6282
Despite the storm clouds that rolled in their lives months before they've found happiness.  She doesn't let the future worry her- she's just loving and living each day - finding joy in the journey.
IMG_6329

21 lovely comments:

Char and Trent said... Reply To This Comment

such a great post! i was actually feeling quite sorry for myself today for no good reason and this was just wanted I needed to get out of my funk! Hope your enjoying OK!

Char and Trent said... Reply To This Comment

oh and I totaly thought that first pic of Wynona Ryder was you when I looked at it the first time!

Eeny said... Reply To This Comment

Oh, what a great post, Connie.
Lovely words and beautiful pictures.

I read Alexa's blog too and I think she is amazing.

Kell said... Reply To This Comment

This might have made me cry. You're such a beautiful person!

Lace said... Reply To This Comment

Gorgeous... I cried too :*)

Rasha said... Reply To This Comment

LOve this post. Alexa is such an inspiring woman.

Dallin and Ashley said... Reply To This Comment

so sweet!

mike said... Reply To This Comment

Nice blog as always. You rock sis!

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

what an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing it.

Anne said... Reply To This Comment

Hey Connie This is a winning entry! I KNOW it! :)
-Sissy

Snaily.. said... Reply To This Comment

Those photos are amazing, they're so natural.

Alexa Mae said... Reply To This Comment

connie--
thank you for being such a sweet and genuine friend. you are a great person through and through. i cried while reading this today. i NEEDED this today. thank you for these pictures i cherish. thank you for sharing an experience with us as a family. thank you for being you and for letting me be your friend. i love you girl. xoxo
♥alexa

JED said... Reply To This Comment

Just when you think your life sucks, you see a story like this and realize it is not your life that sucks but your attitude towards your life. Thank you sweetie for this heart warming entry.

**Lay said... Reply To This Comment

Connie this post was so sweet! I have been a follower of Alexa's for a while (via your blog, actually) and it just baffles me how strong she is. I think a lot of people can learn from her on how to stay positive no matter the situation.

Hope you win the contest! Your pictures are beautiful :)

Marissa said... Reply To This Comment

I love her blog! Great photos :)

Alycia (Crowley Party) said... Reply To This Comment

I LOVE reading her blog. Truly inspiring. These pictures turned out beautiful as well. You are amazing!

Melody said... Reply To This Comment

This is an amazing blog! Attitude certainly does determine our life's altitude! Love, Mother

Tony said... Reply To This Comment

great post babe, i love these pictures! you're so talented! i love you!

Vanessa said... Reply To This Comment

What a beautiful post! Alexa is such a beautiful person, inside and outside and there isn't a day that passes by where she doesn't inspire me to be a better person. Love her!

Chelsea said... Reply To This Comment

these are such wonderful photos! and such a great story!

j said... Reply To This Comment

wow. these photos are so moving. i also follow her blog and am inspired by their family constantly!