Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Decision making time

I started this blog about a two years ago, little less.  I love it.  I think it's so fun to ramble on about pointless things that happen.  It's fun for me to go back and see the little details of my days or thoughts I had at the time.  When I started to get more into taking pictures it was another thing that I enjoyed sharing with my family, friends, blog friends, whoever.  But I'm torn in deciding if this is something I really want or need to do anymore.  As much as I love it, there are these downsides that I've been considering for about a year, actually:

downsides:
-people not knowing me but thinking they do (probably the smallest concern I have...its not the biggest deal but I have had some instances where it has been)
-zero privacy... I kinda am the one to blame, I give a lot of details about my life.  The problem is I want to- this is kinda an additional journal I keep.  But at the same time I want to live my life without who knows who peering into it.  Not many people ask, "hows it going, it's been a while!"  Because they read my blog and it doesn't feel like its been a while.
-My personal journal gets neglected more than it ever has.  I have always been a fabulous journaler.  I have like 30 journals but only one for the past two years.  That's pathetic...for me.
-you never know what crazy person is stealing our photos or our identity (I know that's kind of a drastic concern but NOT REALLY... it happens)

IN FACT we were just victims of identity theft- just found out Memorial day.  Some CREEP stole Tony's credit card number when he was at a restaurant with his buddies.  We know that's where it happened because the other two guys had the same thing happen to them.  The criminal made a counterfeit card, skipped off to California, and tried to rack up over $8,000 of purchases (just on our card alone).  Thank goodness it was our credit card because those are better protected than debit cards.  Anyway.  OH- and $2800 of that was attempted at Michael Jacksons Wonderland Ranch or whatever it's called.  How awesome can some people be, I ask you.  I don't want people googling us, finding out maiden names, birthdays, kids names, my dogs name growing up... all information that may be used to hack into accounts...all because they read this blog.

But at the same time there are a plethora of reasons to keep this:
-it's fun
-i love it
-my parents/brothers and sister live across the country and get to feel like they are here (the real reason behind all of this)
-i take a crap load of pictures and it's nice to do something with them other than print a few or keep them in organized folders on the computer
-i've made some great friendships
-i find it inspiring
-i know not everyone out there is a psycho.. and i like to think the odds that someone is and also reads this, is very slim
-i even like the web design stuff
-etcetera etcetera

I'm still deciding what to do.  If you have any suggestions or things you do to keep your blog creep-free let me know.  Going private doesn't appeal to me so yeah..  email me if you have any suggestions.