Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Marion by Natalie

My friend started a business- Marion by Natalie.  I know all too well how it is starting a business... my lemonade stand in grade school, selling starburst bracelets in junior high, dog walking business during college, daycare after marriage, and now my photography. (look at me go, heh)

Natalie just opened shop so I wanted to give my readers the pleasure of checking it out- and I know you'll love whatever she makes for you, I do!

Let me just say, this girl is no amateur seamstress.  She definitely has a knack for it and is definitely going places.  I had the pleasure of working with her when she made me a darling skirt.  It all started when I saw the design on her facebook and I said to myself, "I want that.."  So I enlisted her to make me the same.  Turned out she had leftovers of the exact same fabric so I said, I'll take it, suit me up!

We took these pics on Mother's day (so for all those wondering how I looked at 11.4 weeks.)  All I had to do was look out my window and I found a greener, prettier setting than people drive hours to find in dusty 'ol AZ (I love AZ don't be mistaken.. just not the most colorful state for a photographer to live).
'Nough rambling- check out this skirt she made me!

I asked Nat some questions so even if you don't live in AZ you can know about how you can take advantage of her mad skills...


What inspired the name?

My husband's full name is John Wayne Ingram. No really it is. He has been so supportive of my sewing. From watching hours of Project Runway to purchasing my first serger for me, he has been the biggest encouragement thru this entire process. I wanted to name my company something meaningful and John Wayne, the original John Wayne's real name is Marion. I chose the name because I wanted it to always remind me of my biggest support and of the person that will always be there for me. I would not have the confidence in myself that I do, if it were not for my husband.
IMG_1032

How long have you been into sewing?

I took a few summer sewing classes thru 4H when I was 9 and 10. I learned how to make simple things like a basic pair of shorts and a nightgown. We worked from a pattern, which if you have ever done that, is terribly confusing. My mom sewed a bit, but mostly quilts. Last summer I had to sew a few backpacks for our church youth group. I borrowed someone's sewing machine and have not looked back since. Before I knew it I was begging Jack to let me buy my own and I was making my first skirt. Most of the things I know I have taught myself in the last year. I have always been scared of sewing because the patterns are so difficult to understand. When I realized I could make anything without a pattern I just took off and started sewing every spare minute I had. It has all be exploration and so much fun.

IMG_1023
So what if someone outside of Arizona wants a custom dress/or other piece of clothing?  Is that possible to do?

This is a question I have been asking myself constantly since I started dreaming up the idea of making clothes for other people. I am so thankful for some of my amazing friends that have helped to push me. I just recently made a prom dress for a good friend of mine who happens to live in Vermont. It was an amazing learning experience and it turned out great. I do have two different dress forms allowing me to make clothes for sizes 2 thru 16 . The dress forms allow me to change the measurements to fit the measurements of the customer. It really gives me the ability to work with a specific shape and be able to visualize a garment. My goal is to make custom brides maid, prom, and wedding dresses and not just for people in Arizona. It is definately possible and the idea really excites me!
IMG_1071

What kind of clothing items do you make other than the shirts listed in your shop?  (Do you specialize in anything particular?)

I LOVE making the shirts that I sale. They were something that I started making for myself and some people were interested in them, so I decided to make them for others. That being said, my favorite things to make are skirts and dresses. I started out making skirts. Because of my odd porportions, I find it difficult to find skirts that are cute and flattering so I decided I would just make my own, and I have fallen in love with it. I love to look femenine and feel beautiful, and I want to help other women feel beautiful as well. I am always looking for things that challenge me and right now there are so many ideas I have for these two areas of clothing.  
IMG_1047
I know I've seen you make headbands and things- are you planning on selling those too, sometime?

How funny that you would ask this, I just made myself a bunch of different headbands this weekend with my sister in law. There are so many amazing people out there that make headbands, that I just do not think I want to get into competition with them. If anyone wants me to make them a headband I am more then willing to make one, however I would probably rather direct you to someone more qualified and talented in the area.


She made it without a pattern and every detail is great!
IMG_1417
Go check out Natalie's shop HERE!

21 lovely comments:

Ashton Dene' said... Reply To This Comment

I almost commented that your skirt looked like a Natalie skirt when I saw you in these the first time you posted them! I love Nat and her sewing ability, how awesome of you to support her here!

xo

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Haha! Really? That tiny little sliver?! Girl, you're goooooood. (:

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

ummm...so cute. i'm in love.

Karm said... Reply To This Comment

Wow, she did that skirt? hmmm, that is beautiful. I like her shirts too, I may have to snatch on up from her... (: btw you look gorgeous in those photos (:

leigh ashley said... Reply To This Comment

that skirt is ADORABLE!! i'll definitely have to check out her store!! :)

Melody said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Sweetheart: If it makes me look as beautiful and good as you, I will take two of everything! Love, Mother

Rasha said... Reply To This Comment

too cute, how awesome.

☂niki said... Reply To This Comment

love the skirt!!!! i need something from her. going to check out her shop now...

Marissa said... Reply To This Comment

Shed is so talented!!

Anne said... Reply To This Comment

If she could make up a pattern of that skirt, I would buy it! I am loving it.

Alexa Mae said... Reply To This Comment

i want that skirt right now! it is darling and looks sooo amazing on you. what a talented girl! and you look gorgeous connie.

Kimberly said... Reply To This Comment

Love that skirt. I keep telling her I want her to make my wedding dress. Now all I need to do is find my other half.

Melly Mel said... Reply To This Comment

oh my goodness.... such pretty photography. i love these colors!!!!

Melly Mel said... Reply To This Comment

oh my goodness.... such pretty photography. i love these colors!!!!

Melly Mel said... Reply To This Comment

oh my goodness.... such pretty photography. i love these colors!!!!

Alissa said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog again, sometimes its so hard to catchup with everyone. Adorable skirt, I love it! Yay to you and your friend for taking chances on starting businesses that's awesome!

cris (cristal) said... Reply To This Comment

she has beautiful clothing. and starburst bracelets? wow cool.

-cris

heidi lou said... Reply To This Comment

Connie, you're so beautiful!! Definitely going to check out the shop stat.

Marci Darling said... Reply To This Comment

I'm in love with her Manhattan tee :)

Natalie said... Reply To This Comment

Woo wooo! That skirt is secks-ay!

Vanessa said... Reply To This Comment

That skirt is gorgeous. Her work is amazing, I love it!