Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dreams

(since the video is not working, go here)
This is my favorite new age pianist, Jon Schmidt. I was 15 the first time I heard his music, and I was lucky enough to see him play live. What a talented guy and what an inspiration to me! Something you might not know about me... I play the piano. You probably guessed by now. But what have I done with it? Well... occasionally I pop out of my shell and play a simple song for a few people. Rarely I'll play for big groups, like my church. But, most of the time, I don't talk about it. At home I'll wait until everyone is out of the house and that's when I sit down and really play. Not sure why, but I have a hard time wanting people to hear my music. More than that, I've tried to down play all the talents I have. I don't want people to think that I think I'm the greatest. I'm not. But you know what? I've learned that it doesn't matter. You don't have to be the best at something. Ever. I've also learned that I can be and do anything I want. One thing I know I want, is to play the piano- and never give up on it. Whether it's heard or not, probably doesn't matter. But why keep hiding what Heavenly Father has blessed me with... and why let fears allow me to quit? When I was 9 I quit my swim team although I usually placed at my swim meets. I was too scared to jump in- because I thought I would lose. So I quit. That can't happen again. And... there are other things I want to do with my life besides music. Doesn't matter how old I get, it's never too late to go for something new. Some day I want to look back and see that I've become all that I could be. I don't ever want to give up on my dreams. Part of why we are here is to become all we can, right?

11 lovely comments:

Staci said... Reply To This Comment

Wow what inspiring words. You know one of my biggest fears in life is never being "good" enough. I think I need to read this post every morning to remind myself that I don't have to be the best just keep trying and that will be "good" enough!! Thanks! ;)

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

That was beautiful.
My kids were totally engrossed the whole time! And 6 min 25 sec is a loooooooong time for a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old to pay attention to something!

Now you need to put up a video of youself playing the piano! But you have to get up and dance too ;)

Chandra Goodman said... Reply To This Comment

hey connie! haha that's totally what i do all the time too (stalking photo blogs). i have the canon rebel xsi. i love it. i recommend spending money on nice lenses. they make all the difference.

Sara Crandall said... Reply To This Comment

I like that taylor swift song

Tony said... Reply To This Comment

Connie you are SO talented and i love seeing you develop and nurture those talents. I love your music and photos and i love your talents at being a great wife and mom of the Brodster!

Britney Jean said... Reply To This Comment

that is like my all-time favorite song!

i heard it for the first time about 3 months ago and listened to it like 12 times a day for at least a week.

uh-maze-ing

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Oh i know, I love it too! Actually this one just came out last night... he had to redo it because Coldplay hadn't returned his calls. He needed their permission to use their song title in his("Love story meets viva la vida"). So he changed it to just "Love Story meets Love Story".

Lauren- that's so awesome your kids are so into music! Especially piano (:

Devin & Ruthann said... Reply To This Comment

I took lessons for a couple years when I was younger, but then I got into sports and quit. I wish I could play. That video makes me want to practice again! I would love to hear you play!

PS...I'd like your e-mail. Leave me a comment and I won't publish it.

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Dad says I can use his GI bill and go back to school soon. He told me tonight I should study music if I want. I would love that, but I am torn with something like gaining a math degree since it would ensure a job more. What think you of your Mom and her future?---Love, Mother By the way, I am always inspired by your music and I love your compositions---they are all so beautiful!

Signe said... Reply To This Comment

I think you expressed what most people feel.

Monica said... Reply To This Comment

I loved this post. Music is something that I have had in my life ever since I was little. I took piano lessons from the age of 10 until my junior year. I really enjoyed playing the piano and I had one of the GREATEST piano teachers of all time. Janeen Noble :) I have been wanting to get a piano so that I can start back up.
I played the violin for awhile and was in Choir all thru junior high and highschool!! Music relaxes me and I love the feeling that I get from it! :)
You should post some videos of you playing sometime:)