Monday, May 25, 2009

Food, etcetera...

Pretty much, food consumes me. Or at least, I consume it. -Three times a day and counting.- So naturally it’s just one of those things I tend to blog about. Moving on…

Remember us? We moved to Oklahoma for the summer and decided to take the bare minimum. I don't even have a vacuum.  And in our 3 weeks here I’ve looked for, but didn’t bring:

  • meat thermometer
  • broom
  • cupcake pan
  • mini cupcake pan
  • baby gate
  • craft supplies {some things}
  • crock pot
  • metal sieve
  • {That’s all I can remember}

No biggie, I’ve just had to improvise a little in the kitchen, and we bought a cheap gate which Brody uses to remind me that I’m a bad mom. I set it up between our living room and kitchen because he opens the cabinets and pulls everything out, and would start the dishwasher every 2 minutes. So I did what I had to… but look at that face!

5-24-09 013 5-24-09 021

So I let him in the kitchen for 5 minutes and regretted it immediately when he smashed crackers all over the tile, shoved pieces under the baseboard, and pulled crap out of the cabinets. It’s back behind the gate for you, buddy boy.

5-24-09 017 5-24-09 023

Awwww ):

Anyway…. like I said I didn’t bring the crock pot.  I bought some meat to make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches; but making it in the crock pot is the only way I know how!  So I googled how to cook it in the oven, and thought I’d give that a try… what else would I do with this huge chuck of meat?  (Seriously, IS there anything else to do with it?)

5-24-09 001 5-24-09 005

EASIEST and BEST PULLED PORK Recipe

All I did was slather it with that meat rub, let that marinate for 5 hours in the fridge {covered with plastic wrap}. Then I put it on the roasting pan in the oven at 300 deg for 4-5 hours. I let the meat sit for 10 minutes after taking it out, pull the meat with 2 forks, and serve! *For best results, use “Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce”.* It was the easiest meal ever, and way less greasy than when I use the crock pot. I coupled it with corn and ice cold limeade. Perfect!

5-24-09 029

I bought a cantaloupe for the first time since we’ve been married. A BIG DAY!!! I forgot about it though and it ripened a little too much…

5-24-09 008copy 5-24-09 018

I haven’t had it in so long, I figured variety was in order. I must’ve forgotten how boring of a fruit it is. Seriously the step child of the melon world, it’s the worst. It was not very tasty {okay, maybe because I let it rot}. But I’m the only one who will eat it, too. Someone please tell me what to do with all of this. Cantaloupe pie? …I think not.

Ok enough of cantaloupe… on to bigger and more important matters: SLURPEES. And I was pleased to find that Oklahoma has 7-11 on almost every street corner. {Not so in Arizona} Anyway, as I go to buy my first Slurpee of the year, I was unfortunately greeted by the “ICY DRINK”. I asked the worker there if they didn’t sell actual “Slurpees”; and turns out the only 7-11’s in the world that don’t sell Slurpees is here. Go figure.

My verdict:

7-eleven-cup_tn

Not worth the calories.

The Etcetera:

I assembled some homemade flower clips with my cute prego friend Charde’, this week. I think they turned out pretty great. The jewels in the middle were from earrings and a ring I took apart and glued in. They are so simple to make, really… i can’t believe I hadn’t done this sooner.

009

5-21-09 111 - Copy3 5-20-09 (4)

9 lovely comments:

Anne said... Reply To This Comment

Very pretty clips! is that a feather?? really they are ETSY worthy!

salena said... Reply To This Comment

You crack me up...the stepchild of the melon world! That's a perfect way of describing cantaloupe's disgustingness! Seriously I've only had good cantaloupe once or twice in my life...it usually tastes like poopy.

Its funny how when you dont have something random like a meat thermometer...you find yourself all of the sudden needing it! That pulled pork recipe looks awesome! I'll have to try it.

Those flower clips are wayy cute, too!

Lecia said... Reply To This Comment

Okay, it would have taken me two years to make a new friend that would want to craft accessories with me. That's two talents in one for you!

Jessie said... Reply To This Comment

those hair flowers looks fabulous!!! And Brody already looks so much more grown up since I last saw him! :( I hope OK is treating you well!

JED said... Reply To This Comment

Brody! JED will save you from the evil MOMMY! JED will let you rummage through any cabinet you want...well, except the medicine cabinet, and maybe the kitchen cleaner cabinet, and maybe the cabinet where we keep all the plastic bags...OK every cabinet except those!!! Oh, and except where the glasses are kept, and maybe the broom closet. As you know, we keep sharp things there.

That boy keeps getting cuter every day! I love you guys!

Sara Crandall said... Reply To This Comment

your blog is so funny. I am totally with you when it comes to food. I used to journal what I ate that day! How about a cantaloupe smoothie? or slurpie? J/K I love the hair bows you made!

Mom said... Reply To This Comment

Connie, I let the melon "ripen" in the fridge and it did so without rotting and it is sooo good for you and I beg to differ, tasty, when not rotten! Those pulled pork sandwiches sound amazining. You will share your culinary expertise when you come, won't you? Also, I can't wait to visit/have you come so we can share child care responsibilities! I know it is tough to maintain a semblance of order with a little one and they mean well--I liked the set-up you had in your other apartment--Brody's own plastic cabinet, etc. I wouldn't want his creativity stifled---he's so brilliant and cute and wonderful!----Like his parents! Love, Mother

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

I made flower clips this weekend too! Twins!

Umm..I want to make those pulled pork sammys! So yum!

Nancy Face said... Reply To This Comment

I like consuming food WAY more than three times a day! ;)

The flower clips are gorgeous! :)