Sunday, May 17, 2009

Finding things to appreciate

I was missing Arizona a lot one day and Tony reminded me to stay positive and appreciate it here. I’ve lived in several states but Oklahoma is so different, to me. So, in lieu of his excellent advice, I’ve been noticing the things around here that are great… because I do appreciate them.

1 Taking a break from my beloved pizza cookie, the pizookie. The one’s here just aren’t as good as Oregano’s, which is only found in Arizona. So that’s positive because I don’t have that temptation around.

1046492330_0ea74e47b4 (2)

2 Getting a bulletin on my door the day we moved in with this welcoming information…

Tornado season do’s and don’ts:

DO’s:

  • Go to a safe room, get to the lowest building level possible.
  • Crouch as low as possible to the floor, facing down. Cover the back of your head with your hands.
  • If you’re outside with no shelter, lie flat in a ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

Don'ts:

  • Don’t use your car as shelter, tornadoes can lift and throw cars
  • Don't go to the southwest corner of your shelter most tornadoes approach from the SW
  • Don’t light candles, even after the storm has passed. Ruptured gas lines can create a fire hazard so it’s better to use flashlights.

How informative and helpful!

And then a call late Wednesday night while enjoying a funny movie that we were on a tornado warning and we needed to seek shelter. So here’s to us huddling in the bathroom behind our mattress; dangerously located on the second floor. They are now, fond memories.

5-tornado_picnik 5-16-09 (18)

3 Eating delicious all-you-can-eat ribs at the Rib Crib. Somewhere new, and glorious. So much for the healthy lifestyle goal. But they were worth it, gal darn it.

4 The cover-all bib I got for Brody. It’s huge, which is a change from our usual cloth newborn bibs. AND it doubles as a snack holder.. woo woo.

5-17-09 001 5-17-09 002

5 The rusty razor blade that has been chillaxin’ in front of our apartment stairs since we got here. No one will touch it. I hope the cat dog bat fiends don’t find it and use it on me the next time I trespass on their property. But it serves to me as a reminder that we got new carpet. At least- from seeing the carpet scraps around it, and after finding it’s twin hiding in our apartment, I assume it was the carpet guys who left it behind.

5-16-09 (7)

6 Craving Strawberry (fig) Newton's one day, which I never treat myself to, and realizing that the store only had Fig Newman's. For the love. However I was able to find them the next time I got groceries and so I was very happy to find they do in fact sell them here.

5-17-09 018 - Copy fig

7 Discovering my new love: DUSTEE’S! They sell loads of bling, bags, and girly goodies for dirt cheap! And since they don’t have any in Arizona, I’ll be stocking up till next summer. Oh bling, how I appreciate you.

5-17-09 002 8 Musing over the randomness of this Proactiv Acne Solutions vending machine. I don’t use the stuff, but I found it quite charming…and convenient for people who do.

5-16-09copy

9 Having my camera break and having to send it to the Canon manufacturers. I thought I’d miss a summers worth of pictures and blogging opportunities but I only missed a week, and it was completely free! It was fixed and shipped back so fast, I LOVE CANON even more now!

4-19-09 (29) - Copy 0315-17-09 035 (2)

10 Even though Tony works 70 hour weeks, he made me a pancake dinner one night. He’s the greatest!

11 Getting some live flowers for mother’s day at the ward here, placing them in a cute pot and discovering my thumb must be green because they are still alive. What’s it been like a week?

12 And finally, noticing this crumpled up 5 dollar bill on the ground on my way to church. Naturally, I was disappointed to find it didn’t have a hundred crunched up inside of it, but free money is always welcome. And I guess it was a reward for leaving early! Bahahaha!

5-17-09 046 So see, I am glad to be here.

16 lovely comments:

Mom said... Reply To This Comment

I am glad you are finding things to laugh at and log in your interesting memories category similar to the giant godzilla-sized coackroach Dad and I found in a Ramada Inn in New Jersey in 2005 (still a nightmarish memory). Life sure does offer those moments, but they definately are easier to handle when you learn to say "Come what may and love it"(Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin). I am also glad to see that you have discovered new loves like the bling store and the rib joint. I did some perusing and you have some amusement parks right there in Okie City---Frontier City and White Water Bay---check out the web for deals, but they seem reasonable for season passes and one gets you in the other. You don't have to pay for kids under two. Brody is covered! Both parks have little kid areas as well as rides for big kids like yourselves. Remember what made DC fun the first time was seeing all the new sights. Go internet perusing to look up some sights you'ld like to visit before you leave. If you want me to, I could even do a search from the new GPS unit Mike bought me for Mother's day. I love you precious! Love, Mother P.S. I'm the first one to comment---hurray for me!!!

Mom said... Reply To This Comment

If you do decide on season tickets, you can only buy them through the 11th of June---I just happen to read that! Love, Mother

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

This post was amazing. While reading it I said out loud, "I love Connie." True story. I am sorry you have been missing AZ, but it sounds like there are a few awesome things in OK. I want some bling! Do they have an online store?

Who made your blog design?!

Salena said... Reply To This Comment

You are such a cute blogger! And i'm in love with the cute cursive font.
Those are the BEST bibs! No other bibs compare to them...I saved all of Bastiens because I was scared they'd stop making them!

Tony said... Reply To This Comment

I do not think that is rust on that razor blade...it's dried blood!!!

Char and Trent said... Reply To This Comment

bahah tonys comment is funny. And I Loooove your pics! You need to teach me how to take cool pics. I made Trent buy me a nice camera and I dont even know how to use it.. Sooo Pencil me in :)

Nancy Face said... Reply To This Comment

I SEE A PIZOOKIE! :D

I've lived in Texas before, and the tornado warnings there FREAKED ME OUT! :0

I didn't know there were Fig NEWMANS! That's hilarious! :D

Lecia said... Reply To This Comment

Okay, this post of yours made me laugh so hard!!

I guess I only have one thing to say:

"NEWMAN!"

sylvia said... Reply To This Comment

too funny! I hand it to you for trying to have a positive attitude. moving to a new area is always hard at first, especially when it's tornado season. :) I wish I could find free money.

ashley wright said... Reply To This Comment

connie i loved this post... so hilarious! we live in nebraska now, and you better believe its an ONGOING process for me as im trying to find the "good" in things there!! we have tornados there too... i almost had a HEART ATTACK the first time i heard the sirens !i was at the mall with paisley BY MYSELF! :) ahhhhhhhh! i hope things are good for you guys. brody is so so cute. love him.
as for the flat iron, im a total CHI girl. ive used a couple others in my day, but i always go back to the chi. i have 2 of them. your hair is super cute by the way i love it!
good luck with your adventure away from home!! tell tony hey for us!
keep in touch!

Anne said... Reply To This Comment

Hey connie, just something that helped me with our 3 month move to DC, "it's not permanaent" and you know what? I miss DC now!! just have that make the most of it mentality, google fun things to do in your area, and you will have a few new fun experiences. promise. :)

Tiffany Haynes said... Reply To This Comment

Good attitude:) Sometimes it is nice to just feel sorry for yourself thought, isn't it? Change is always hard, especially when it seems like it's everything in your life all at once. I think that to get yourself out of it you definitely have to look at the little ordinary things and find something special about them, just like your doing. That proactiv thing is hilarious, so random!

JED said... Reply To This Comment

Connie, the only tornado warning I lived through was at Fort Knox in 1983...one minute we were all sleeping to chemical warfare training, and the next thing I remember was a Drill Sergeant yelling at us about the siren going off. None of us there even knew what the siren meant. It could have been a passing fire truck or an air raid warning for all I knew. Then everybody ran out of the building to jump into a nearby ditch, but as soon as we got there, the drill sergeants had us run back inside. I was so confused that I never felt any fear. Any way, daddy loves you baby, and JED misses the brodster.

Lacey said... Reply To This Comment

Hey Connie, I happened on your site and saw your in OK! I'm actually from OKC, but I married a Coloradoan this past October and made the move. If you have any questions or need some suggestions, feel free to ask! Just learning all this blogging stuff. I tried it a long time ago and didn't get far but considering it now that I'm away from my family. Great site and encouraging. It's been hard in a new state.

Connie (and Tony) said... Reply To This Comment

Lacey, Thanks for the comment! I wanted to check out your blog but it's private! Thanks for the compliment (:

Lacey said... Reply To This Comment

Ok so I just made mine public I think, but it isn't much to look at so I hope to get better at this! Any questions feel free to ask.