Friday, December 19, 2008

So about the race...

My mom is awesome, she's always teaching me and helping me stay healthy, and in shape. I can count on my mom to motivate me even 2,000 miles away from each other. She signed us up in January for this race; so for the past 7 months (since my doctor okayed exercise, after having a baby), I've been getting out and running to prepare myself. I'm convinced that had I not been signed up for it, there would've been days that I blew off exercise. So it was an excellent motivator (thanks mom).

This was before the race. Why we chose the parking garage for pictures, I don't know. It was early, and freezing. I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before! I couldn't sleep... but thanks to my mom buying energy bars and healthy drinks, I made it through all 10 miles.

My mom bought a disposable camera to take running with us. So the pictures aren't great, but at least we could take some!

One thing I love about the Tempe Iron Girl is the course, it's beautiful! I couldn't ask for better! (or easier terrain)...

I came in at 1:46:16, which beats my time in 2006. I think I would've done better had my knee not been killing me. I didn't buy a brace, although I've known I needed one but I've usually just ignored the pain. After the first 5 miles I had to take my ipod strap and wrap it around my knee for support, because it hurt so bad! Eh...

I have to say this year was my favorite one so far! I'm glad my sister ran with us! The only thing I heard complaints about was their "catered breakfast" afterwards ended up being store bought plain bagels (I got the 2nd to last one) and gatorade! They ran out of food apparently because there were so many girls running this year!

Out of 18 mother daughter teams my mom and I came in 8th. We were just minutes behind a couple teams. We usually run for fun but I think we're going to start to be more competitive. It think it's a lot more fun that way.


Anyway, you should do this race if you get the chance- we love it!

5 lovely comments:

Tony said... Reply To This Comment

Hey Connie good job at the race! You are so awesome, i don't think i have ever run 10 miles, even during cross country practices! I would have liked to see some pics of you guys actually running though, maybe you can include some like that a year from now!

Nancy Face said... Reply To This Comment

I am SOOO proud of you and your Mom! You are THE BOMB! The farthest I've ever run at one time was 5 miles, and I thought THAT was a lot! :)

Connie and Tony said... Reply To This Comment

Tony, I didn't add those pics yet cause I didn't have them! But I do now, so there they be. Enjoy

Mom said... Reply To This Comment

Hey Best Friend, I love running together. You bet we will be more competitive because I was stoked at us doing as well as we did. In fact Michael challenged me to a one mile race on Saturday and I ran it in 6:46. He did it in 5:56 or something like that, but I have never run so fast in all my life! I just have to keep it up---Michael says race pace at least 2 times a week. How is your knee doing anyway since we bought the brace? Have you been out running since? I hope next year's race is on a Saturday. I will be signing us up for sure then! Love, Mother

Brittany said... Reply To This Comment

Oh! Can I be on your team? I have no one to keep me pumped for running besides Brooke and... well.. she's like way out of my league when it comes to running! I even have my spandex on and shoes because I am going running in a bit! Let me know when you do races, cause I want to do them with you! I just gotta get past this whole running without stopping for a mile thing again. haha. I hate getting out of shape. it's the worst.