Monday, November 24, 2008

My thoughts about Twilight


FYI, If you haven't seen the movie yet, you might not want read this.

I saw it this weekend- what did I think??? Well, I wasn't expecting it to be so much like the book because usually nothing ever is. But, I thought it was really close and they included everything that needed to be there. I was completely giddy the whole time I was watching. Pretty much, I LOVED it!


First things first- not everyone was feeling Edward and Bella's love connection, although I did. But I have a theory for that...I knew that their connection would be a hard thing to duplicate. Most of what you learn about their relationship comes from Bella's thoughts. Bella is such a THINKER. She thinks WAY too much (typical teenage girl...it's a good thing Edward can't read her mind.) Anyway, unless she narrates through the whole movie, there's no way you can really know what's in that head of hers (unless you've read the book and know her). So, there was A LOT that people who hadn't read the book, were missing. Because Bella of course didn't narrate the whole time (thank goodness). And then for that reason though, you miss a lot about their relationship. Make sense? No? Basically, you have to have read the book to fully appreciate and enjoy the little things (Like the look on Edwards face when he smells Bella's scent the first time- sooo funny.) Anyway moving on.

Here are a couple comparisions for ya: (you don't have to agree with me, I'm just saying...)

The Book: had a lot of tention between Bella and Edward at first, for a while, until she figured him out. She was so drawn to him but thought he hated her...and then would think he didn't.. and.. The Movie?: Same thing. I loved that they got that right. So don't be annoyed at the awkwardness because it's totally meant to be there. He was a jerk in the book (for her own safety!) and a jerk in the movie. (But like I said, just at first until she figured out why).. then of course they get over it and fall madly in love...
The Book: Had a lot to say about Jacob. I actually wanted Bella to end up with him at first (gasp!- wait, calm down I don't anymore) But because he wasn't giving her mixed signals like Edward was. Edward would say, "Don't talk to me" , "Stay away from me"... and then, "Let's date" (Not exact quotes, but he was sending mixed signals for a good chunk of the book) Jacob on the other hand was cute.. nice... right? The Movie?: There wasn't a lot about Jacob in this one. Which is going to be interesting seeing is New Moon is more about him than Edward. They didn't build his character up as much as they should've. I felt torn between Edward and Jacob at the end of the book; but, not by the end of the movie. And what was the deal with him coming out of the glowing misty forest when he tells Bella to stay away from Edward? That was probably the cheesiest part to me. I laughed out loud, it was so random. Remember, in the book he cuts in when they are dancing- which I doubt would've made the ending as romantic as it was. But that was the point- I thought- because you're supposed to think Bella and Jacob might have a future! Mike was more pushy too, but not so much in the movie. Of course, everyone WANTS her and Edward to be together.. but still, Jacob is a crucial character throughout the series! He was in like 3 scenes with Bella and only one hinted at his crush for her (but even then, not that much).

The Book: Book Bella is insane. Really... if you think about it... she's crazy. The Movie: Bella is awkward and makes these faces throughout- and it was... just so... her. I loved it! Crazy girl.

The Book: Edward drives like a psycho. The Movie: He drives ridiculously crazy in a couple parts, and basically fast other times, but I wish they showed him peeling around the windy roads and gunning it towards his driveway. Few times, he was going really slow


The Book: Not hilarious but humorous in it's own way. The Movie: Had lots of one liners that cracked me up, and everyone there. I thought it was a great addition to the movie, to throw in some humor.

Overall, I absolutely loved the vampires. All of them were amazing, I want to be one. haha! Although I did catch a glimpse at the contact line Edward had in his eye. Couldn't they edit that? The baseball scene was one of my favorites and... Oh I hope you've seen it and loved it as much as me! I wouldn't change a single thing about the actors they chose. They were all perfect! What did you think of it?
Ps. Brody is crawling!

8 lovely comments:

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Umm...Connie. I love you.
No seriously. This was the BEST review EVER. Can I post in on my Twilight blog? I love you for it. Everything you said was AMAZING!

Congrats Brody, you cute thing!

Lauren said... Reply To This Comment

Going for the 4th time tonight...because I am crazy!

Connie and Tony said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks Lauren, you're so sweet! You can definately post this on your blog. You're my hero for going 4 times already. I definately want to see it again too! (:

Brittany said... Reply To This Comment

First off, love the Linkin Park song you have. Did you know Saturday night that it was Linkin Park? haha
Loved the review. I'm so glad you came with me and not by yourself!!! haha! Let's play again soon!!!

Kellen and Erin Hansen said... Reply To This Comment

Connie, I also just wanted to say that I love your review! O.k., I haven't read the book or seen the movie, and I didn't think I would be interested in either, but your review made me think a little more. Maybe I'll see the movie now, and read the book after my online class is done:)

Newlyweds said... Reply To This Comment

Oh my gosh you totally said everything I was thinking but BETTER!!! That is just perfect. I love the book and movie comparisons. I think I am going to go again tomorrow. But I have to say that Edward was still not he Edward that I would have picked but I loved him as the movie got more and more into it. Ahh.... I cannot wait for New Moon!!!!!

Danielle said... Reply To This Comment

I TOTALLY have to agree with you 100%. I went to the Midnight showing of it and was giddy the whole time. The first time I saw Edward (Which by the way I think they could have picked a cuter guy) my heart skipped a couple beats. I have to agree I loved the first time he caught Bella's scent, I thought he was gonna gag. HA ha ha... I think I'll have my friend Drew read your review because he didn't like the movie (poop on him!) I'm going again on Friday. I can't get enough of it!

Ana Cristina said... Reply To This Comment

Hi! I wandered over here from Lauren's blog, and I just have to say your review is awesome. I thought I was crazy for noticing the contact line in Movie-Edward's eye - glad to know I wasn't the only one. Congrats on your son crawling! That's a huge step (no pun intended ... I swear. :p)