Friday, November 7, 2008

Como Hacer Tortillas

You asked... so I tell you.
(lol)
A number of you were interested in making your own tortillas. So here's your super-easy-homemade-tortilla-recipe! After having these for dinner Tony threw out the store bought kind and proclaimed: "I'm never eating that crap again! Why? When you can make them?!" All I can say is, good thing they are simple to make.
You need:
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4-6 Tbsp vegetable shortening
about 1 1/4 cups warm water

Instructions:
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl

Add vegetable shortening and use a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening.

I used a pastry cutter like this. Don't have one? Don't Fret. You can use your hands, or a fork.


Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky. You don't need very hot water. (I didn't end up using more than a cup of warm water)

Knead the dough for a few minutes.

Now you will pull off pieces of dough to form about 12 small dough balls. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes, longer if you like.

Heat up a skillet to medium-high heat. If it is too hot the tortillas will cook too fast.

Now you can roll out the dough with a rolling pin- it's a good idea to dust each ball with flour to prevent sticking. Lift dough and turn it as needed to get round tortillas. Roll them out fairly thin.

My skillet was non stick so I technically didn't even need to spray it. But you can spray it with PAM if you like; and, cook for just a few minutes on each side. If you let it brown too long on each side they will be too crispy and crack when you fold them.

Easy enough, right? Happy cooking...

7 lovely comments:

DADDY said... Reply To This Comment

Pero, si no dan la receta para cocinar las tortilla, como puedo hacerlo cuando esta escrita la receta en ingles?

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

I don't understand a word you just said...

en ingles por favor (=

DADDY said... Reply To This Comment

eso es lo que pasa cuando una gringa trata cocer como mexicana

daddy said... Reply To This Comment

hey kid, go see my comment about droolasaurus.

Mom said... Reply To This Comment

Dad said something like (I am still learning spanish so this may not be 100 percent accurate) "But, if you don't give the recipe how to cook the tortilla how can I make it when this recipe is written in English?" and the second says something like "this is what happens when a Gringa trys to cook like a Mexican." (As usual he is trying to play with you via the internet.) He truly is proud of your culinary accomplishments, and of course (claro que si, en espanol) I am. You have always been a great cook in our family and I loved coming home to chicken cordon blue when it was your night to cook when I worked as Assistant Manager at DI. I wish I could have been with you for torilla night, but soon, very soon,(26 days) we will be together. Mike and I are running a Turkey Trot 6.2 mile to get ready (well just to have fun--next Saturday) When I come, let's take turns cooking or cook together!!! I love you! Love, Mother P.S. Arizona here I come!!!

Connie said... Reply To This Comment

Mom, yes, I can't wait for you to come!

So am I the only one in the family who doesn't know a lick of spanish? Blast French class in High School! Why did you let me take that useless class! haha

Newlyweds said... Reply To This Comment

Oh my gosh!!! you are the best... I am totally going to try those this week. My in-laws just brought home tortilla's from Rocky point this weekend and I left them at their house. But now I can make my own. Thanks again :)