Thursday, October 16, 2008

Power in prayer

I'm often reminded just how necessary it is that we consult with Heavenly Father on a daily basis- about small things in our life, and about the big things. I sometimes forget just how vital prayers are and that they really can be answered. For the past few months I couldn't find my social security card to save my life. I wasn't really looking, because I didn't really need it for anything- and I assumed it was in one of the 10 places I'm known to stick important things. However, after gathering Tony's and Brody's, I thought I should put mine in the same place.

While searching for it, it became apparent to me that it was no where I'd usually put it. I started freaking out because I knew someone had it and was pretending to be me, or it was floating in the sewer, or I accidentally threw it away. I was furious with myself; how could I be so irresponsible. Tony kept assuring me that it was safe, I just had to know I'd find it. Well I didn't believe him and for that reason it remained lost.

That was until this morning. I prayed to find it days ago, but I wasn't listening for answers. I was certain I could figure it out logically, since there are only a few places I'd put such an item. But today's prayer was so much more sincere. I told Heavenly Father about my weaknesses and how I needed Him. I also told him I was capable of figuring it out and just needed some inspiration. Not that He doesn't already know, but I told Him how important that tiny paper is, and that I really needed help finding it "today". My prayer was answered, no more than 3 minutes later, when I found it in a place I had already looked, but not as thoroughly. My testimony of prayer would not have been strengthened if I hadn't tested it. I'm so grateful to know I have a Father in Heaven who cares about the things I do- and that will help me if I ask. You bet I said a prayer of thanks after that.

4 lovely comments:

Mom said... Reply To This Comment

Hi my beautiful daughter Connie, I just came home tonight after working for the wounded warrior program(tonight we packed halloween bags to give to their children) and just read this email of yours. It filled my heart with great joy! It made me realize once again just how much Heavenly Father wants to bless us if we simply ask sincerely. That blessing is for EVERYONE who does that. I have always prayed sincerely to Heavenly Father that my children would KNOW that I love them. Where we really KNOW anything ever is deep in our heart and mind because that is how the Holy Spirit speaks to us to teach us truth. I KNOW I love my Connie Rae, I KNOW the Gospel is true and that Jesus is the Christ, I KNOW that Heavenly Father lives, loves us and values us as human beings and only wants us to be happy. This blog of yours made me happy and I Love you truly! Love, Mother

Nancy Face said... Reply To This Comment

What a wonderful story...and a great reminder that Heavenly Father truly cares about the things that matter to us. :)

Carrie Carp said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for helping me remember my blessings. I'm such a bum lately and haven't been talking sincerely enough to my father in heaven. I had a very similar but much more selfish experience lately and was blessed more than I deserve. I promised to be better, and yet I'm not so sure that I have been!

Thanks again, I can now recommit!

Carrie Carp said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for helping me remember my blessings. I'm such a bum lately and haven't been talking sincerely enough to my father in heaven. I had a very similar but much more selfish experience lately and was blessed more than I deserve. I promised to be better, and yet I'm not so sure that I have been!

Thanks again, I can now recommit!